Chronological resumes arrange your experience from most recent to the beginning. You should create a chronological resume if:
- You have stayed in the same field for most of your career
- You are a new graduate
- You have clear progression in your positions
- Your experience is obviously related to the job you want
- You have impressive employers, job titles or length of service
- You have no gaps in your resume
- You seek work in a very conservative field, such as finance, banking or law.
Recruiters and employers in these fields tend to expect “regular” chronological resumes.
Write your chronological resume so that your skills, experiences and talents fall into the following categories:
- Personal details (your name, address, phone number, email address)
- Objective (the position you seek)
- Experience (list your positions, employers and dates)
- Education (your education and training)
- Awards and recognition (note any awards or special recognition you’ve received)
Sample chronological resume
#1-1239 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 4R8
To contribute to an entrepreneurial mid-sized software company as a market research analyst
Market research analyst with experience in market research, writing and analysis for business and non-profit organizations.
- Senior software market research analyst. ABC Market Research Canada. Vancouver. May 2013 to April 2015.Developed target market profiles for a mid-sized software companyReviewed Microsoft Access database of customers, identifying the top 15 percent most profitable customers, so that a software company could target campaigns
Wrote software market research reports, ranging from an analysis of the market for instant messaging tools for financial services businesses to demand for mainframe systems software in the healthcare sector.
Sized market for student bus passes in Vancouver
- Market research analyst. Hitech Systems Inc. Burnaby. September 2011 to April 2013Conducted 75 telephone interviews to develop a database of Asian firms looking to upgrade their systems software in the next six months. Examined Maximizer database profiles of 75 people interviewed by telephone and recommended further follow up, helping company identify 10 leads likely to upgrade their software in the new six monthsDeveloped market penetration plan for launch of new systems software in Asia.
Analyzed market data using Microsoft Excel, summarizing findings through charts and written reports
- Marketing assistant. Western Economic Diversification Canada. Vancouver. September 2009-June 2011.Researched and wrote success stories on local high tech companiesWrote, edited and published a monthly newsletter to alert government agents to the successes of local high tech companies
- Diploma of Technology. Marketing Management. BCIT. 2009.
- Grade 12 Dogwood Diploma. Churchill Secondary School. Vancouver. 2007.
Awards and Recognition
- Received top mark in Marketing 1102 course.
- Named Employee of the Month three times at Hitech Systems Inc.