Senior Structural Steel Detailer: Harvey 2536
We are a premier construction modeling and detailing company, delivers high-profile projects with state-of-the-art technology, uncompromising detail and nano precision.
With a global footprint spanning 4 continents and over 800 highly skilled staff, we are uniquely positioned to manage large-scale and labor intensive projects.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Steel Detailer.
Position Value Proposition:
The Senior Steel Detailer is responsible for guiding a team of steel detailers and checkers to complete a designated area of work, in consultation with a Project Coordinator or Project Manager.
The Senior Steel Detailer is ultimately accountable for owning and controlling a model and reports to the Team Leader/Project Manager.
- AutoCAD: 5 years (Preferred)
- Steel Detailing: 5 years (Preferred)
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant modeling experience, ideally inclusive of a 4 year cadetship, within the engineering/construction industry;
- Industry experience relevant to the office the construction modeller is based and/or the projects worked on e.g. commercial, resource;
- Extensive experience in relevant CAD Software.
- Responsible for providing leadership in terms of coaching, guidance, and training to a team of modellers and checkers;
- Responsible for using CAD software (as specified by the company and client requirements) to prepare models, detail drawings, and assembly drawings including all views and dimensions necessary;
- Accountable for ensuring that all detailing completed by their team is completed in line with companies policies and processes;
- Responsible for working from client supplied information, inclusive of models, drawings, specifications, and scope of works provided by the Project Coordinator and/or Project Manager;
- Responsible for project and job set-up including general notes;
- Responsible for identifying Technical Queries, Requests for Information (RFI), Connection Design Questions, etc., and then issuing to the client through correct processes;
- Responsible for ensuring CORs are initiated where applicable e.g. for all revised drawings, documentation, answers to RFIs, etc. in accordance with the COR procedure and managing associated work;
- Responsible for continuously discussing and consulting with Project Coordinators and/or Project Managers throughout projects and jobs to ensure delivery is in line with company and client requirements;
- Responsible for working closely and cohesively with all relevant departments to ensure that models and drawings convey the correct information and are error free;
- Depending on project requirements and in consultation with the Project Coordinator or Project Manager, responsible for working directly with engineers to produce models and drawings (however this is usually the job of the Project Coordinator or Project Manager);
- Responsible for back drafting following checking. Incorporating approved changes into drawings and/or documents;
- Responsible for review and control clash and interface checking (any relevant software may be used);
- Responsible for completing necessary checklists per applicable company procedure (close-outs, handover models, etc.);
- Responsible for constantly managing schedule and delivery dates;
- Accountable for maintaining and continually improving technical and professional abilities in carrying responsibilities;
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job responsibilities and functions that a person in this position may be asked to perform.
- Above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed.
- Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced or delegated by management to meet the business needs of the company.
Required qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) to perform essential function’s of this position
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form;
- Experienced in 3D detailing, specifically in a materials handling environment;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of drafting techniques and familiarity with engineering terminology;
- Ability to identify issues problems and opportunities, make timely decisions, develop appropriate and innovative solutions, and ask for assistance if required.
Approachability – Is easy to approach and talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; can be warm, pleasant, and gracious; is sensitive to and patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others; builds rapport well; is a good listener; is an early knower, getting informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it.
Decision Quality - Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
Functional/Technical Skills -Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Intellectual Horsepower - Is bright and intelligent; deals with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable, and agile.
Listening -Practices attentive and active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
Perseverance -Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers.
Self-Knowledge -Knows personal strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and limits; seeks feedback; gains insights from mistakes; is open to criticism; isn't defensive; is receptive to talking about shortcomings; looks forward to balanced (+'s and –'s) performance reviews and career discussions.
Technical Learning - Picks up on technical things quickly; can learn new skills and knowledge; is good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge—like Internet technology; does well in technical courses and seminars.
Time Management -Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
Written Communications - Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
- A diploma in civil and structural engineering, mechanical engineering, engineering (technical), or other equivalent (in relevant field);
- Advanced tertiary education is preferred: Advanced diploma in civil and structural engineering, mechanical engineering, engineering (technical), or other equivalent;
- Extensive relevant experience in lieu of formal education would be considered.
Software & Technology:
- Relevant CAD software used by the Company and/or office where the construction modeler is based e.g. Tekla, AutoCad, ProSteel, StruCAD, Revit, AutoPLANT;
- Microsoft Office software (including Outlook, Word, Excel);
- Proprietary applications e.g. JMS.
- This position is generally office based;
- Travel as required, including travel related to projects;
- Work may be required at a client work site from time to time;
- Working longer days including evenings and weekends may be required for this position.
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
This is a fulltime position
Salary is open depending on experience
Benefits package available after 3 months
Manufacturing and Production