Steel Fabrication Estimator / Technical Sales: Harvey 2202
Mechanical Engineering and manufacturing for, Industrial, Conveyors, Dust Collectors
We are currently looking for a Steel Fabrication Estimator with Technical Sales working experience, for a manufacturing company that is located in Abbotsford BC.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Steel Fabrication Estimator is responsible for:
- Preparation and documentation of cost estimates and proposals for projects.
- Computes labour costs, estimates costs related to raw materials, equipment rentals, and subcontracted work.
- From time to time you will also be required to visit our customer’s facilities to discuss solutions to their needs for industrial services.
- Interprets scope of work, project drawings and specifications, analyzes drawings, specifications, proposals and other documentation.
- Responsible for accurate take-off of quantities from project drawings and specifications
- Responsible for the preparations and documentation of project proposal
- Analyze sub-trade quotations, liaise with subcontractors for clarification of issues
- Estimate Preparation - labour hours, material costs, bid form requirements, tool & equipment lists’ scheduling; and compile bid packages for subcontractors.
- Costs out potential scope of work changes and bid to construction reviews.
- Costs out potential additional costs claim situations
- Bid closings i.e.; review of documents, compile proposal information, participate in closing meetings.
- Customer follow-up of proposals.
- Address any addenda, change orders etc.
- Such other duties and responsibilities as assigned by his/her manager
- Participate in turnover meetings with Project Management on successful bids
- Site visits may be required on more complex tenders
- Maintains bidding process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems/procedures
- Refine budget and submit to accounting department for input into Mainland’s accounting system.
- Develop an overall project schedule, sequencing plan and determine Milestones. All project plans must have the input from the Production Manager who oversees the deployment of resources related to manufacturing.
- Award contracts, coordinate activities and monitor performance of sub-trade (weekly or daily as required).
- Monitor performance of in-house production on a daily basis. Regular shop floor visits are vital to knowing the status of the project.
- Create ITP’s (Inspection & Test Plan) for each project.
- Create Trial Assembly procedure together with production staff as required.
- Hold a pre-job meeting with Production, Engineering & Purchasing and distribute minutes of the meeting.
- Update Project Schedule and Job Tracking Report and attend weekly production meeting.
- Act as a liaison between customer, Engineering and Production Departments in handling clarifications during different phases of the project.
- Ensure that sub-trades follow document protocol (i.e. Bill of Material from sub-trades is consistent with company standard).
- Review project budget on a monthly basis with Controller.
- Determine level of completion and initiate billing.
- Produce monthly project status report for customer.
- Oversee submissions of documents (i.e. drawings ITP’s reports) for customer review.
- Review and implement changes with regard to document returns.
- Oversee all important documentation: RFI’s, Change Orders, Official Notices, Shipping, Drawings and Meeting Minutes.
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Minimum of 5 to 10 years of steel fabrication estimating experience
- Strong estimating background on mechanical aspects of large capital projects
- Exceptional organizational Skills
- Strong communication skills – oral and written
- Common sense, concentration, imagination, ability to read and understand drawings, self-assurance, responsible attitude and leadership qualities.
- Good knowledge of sub trades
- Good familiarity with MS Excel, Word, MS Project, Fabtrol.
- Ability to work in a multi-discipline team environment including company personnel, vendors, consultants and clients.
Minimum Education: Diploma
This is a fulltime position
Salary of $65,00 to $80,000 per year, depending on experience
Occasional overtime is available on weekends as dictated by project requirements
Benefits package available
Manufacturing and Production