The following is a ‘quick reference list’ of steps and actions you will want to consider if you have recently lost your job or have been notified of an upcoming layoff.
Attend to the Basics
- Carefully review any separation agreement/severance package before signing
- Obtain sound financial advice regarding severance payment, RRSP’s, tax implications, etc.
- File a claim for EI as soon as possible after obtaining Record of Employment
- Develop an interim personal budget
- Inquire regarding any continuation of benefits (healthcare, dental plan etc.)
- Request a letter of reference from employer or supervisor
Deal with the Impact of Loss
- Be aware of the emotional/physical impact the loss has had on you
- Identify ways that the loss has affected or may affect your outlook or behavior
- Examine the impact of the loss on your family
- Establish effective coping techniques and get support
Develop a Support Network
- Identify family and friends who are supportive and ask for support
- Identify and access community and public support services
Access books, programs/services and assistance for:
- Job loss/transition management, career exploration/planning, job search/resume writing, interview skills, evaluating training and school options, and Entrepreneurship/Self-employment
- Explore all available options such as retraining, contract work, occupation change, entrepreneurship, or traditional job search.