Business networking online provides the opportunity to expand your contacts without ever going to a wine and cheese event. Turn to business networking online as quick, painless way to keep track of contacts – without having to “do lunch”. Whether you’re looking for a job interview or just trying to improve your prospects at the job you have, building your network through the web can help.
Tips for business networking online
- Keep interactions on a purely professional level. You don’t want an employer discovering your goofy messages or unsavory details. Use a pseudonym if you’re going to get into anything offbeat.
- Seek referrals, rather than contacting people cold. Just as when networking in person, it’s best to be referred to someone else. Name dropping opens doors.
- Target industry sites for links for likely networking contacts in your field
- Contact your alma mater for leads and names. Your connection to the same school may make a contact more likely to help.
- If you’ll say you’ll follow up, do. Maintain a positive interaction by following through.
- Be careful about revealing too much. Predators and identity thieves may trace your trail of breadcrumbs
From Facebook to LinkedIn, the web offers a variety of online business networking tools. But make sure you’re using the tools selectively, not out of boredom. Otherwise, your networking tool will turn into a work productivity killer.
Related to Business Networking Online: