Position Title Student Assistant, Douglas International Student Leader Posting Number 01972SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $18.95/hour Position Type Student Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/05/2023 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift See Work Arrangements Work Arrangements
The position is located at the New Westminster and Coquitlam Campus. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2023: September 5, 2023 - December 17, 2023
2. Winter 2024: January 3, 2024 - April 24, 2024
3. Summer 2024: May 6, 2024 - August 18, 2024
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
To assist prospective, new international students and exchange students transition to life within Canada, BC, and the Douglas College community. Student Leaders working with the ambassador program will support prospective students. Student Leaders working as mentors will support new international students by socially connecting with them, providing information and resources about Douglas College and the surrounding community, and promoting participation in college-wide events. Student Leaders working in Global Engagement will support incoming exchange students and other internationalization at home initiatives.ResponsibilitiesGeneral responsibilities
•Review training materials provided prior to the start of becoming a DCI Student Leader •Attend onboarding session •Attend regular team meetings •Help students develop social connections with other Douglas students •Provide support to supervisor to schedule and facilitate meetings, workshops, and/or social opportunities •Assist with creation of promotional materials for the program •Provide a report at the midpoint of the semester and at the conclusion of the program •Assist with creation of content for various social media channels •Assist with various administrative duties •Other duties as required Program specific responsibilities
Under the supervision and direction of the supervisor for the program:
•Initiating and maintaining contact with new students •Answering new students questions about essential campus services and supporting a peer-to-peer network •Supporting our group of student leaders (mentors) in their position to help orient our new students •Plan, implement and promote events within the program and for DCI Ambassador Program:
Under the supervision and direction of the supervisor for the program:
•Field questions from prospective students via various social media platforms •Assist Admissions Coordinators with various administrative duties such as databases data entry/filing, compiling reports, and other projects as needed •Support prospective students and Student Ambassadors with navigating Douglas website and provide students with admission-related information such as program, application process, admission requirements, scholarship, etc. via a variety of social media channels and in-person •Assist Admission Coordinators with organizing promotional materials and merchandize inventory •Plan, coordinate and deliver events for student leaders •Support Recruitment & Admission Coordinator in preparing and delivery of online and in-person recruitment events such as information sessions, campus tour, webinar, student fairs, and high school visits Global Engagement:
Under the supervision and direction of the supervisor for the program
•Assist in planning and implementation of GE events and activities •Promote Global Engagement and their programs around campus and on social media. •Recruit and manage student volunteers for GE student support programming. •Answer general questions about student experiences with study abroad and global citizenship
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• To maintain a GPA of 2.3 or above
• To maintain positive conversations/interactions with prospective and new students through sharing your experiences, stories about your journey in Canada/ Douglas College etc.
• Strong leadership skills
• A positive, outgoing attitude
• Keen interest in working in an international setting.
• Keen interest in facilitating intercultural learning and discovery.
• Experience with social norms and values of more than one culture is an asset.
• To be able to handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to set and maintain boundaries.
• To be a self-starter with the ability to work independently with limited supervision.
• Experience in administrative work.
• Ability to work effectively in a team-based environment.
• Experience with video conferencing services (Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Skype) is an asset.
• Experience using graphic design programs such as Canva.
• Experience using pages, groups, messaging, and events on social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
• To be comfortable being on social media channels promoting initiatives.
(Global Engagement position only)
• Previously completed a Douglas College study abroad experience is considered an asset.Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term; OR
4. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the institution in the term immediately following the work term.International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 08/10/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/11203