Position Title Student Assistant, EDGE Posting Number 01974SA Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level I Salary Range $17.88/hour Position Type Student Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/05/2023 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift See Work Arrangements. Work Arrangements
The position is located at the Coquitlam/New Westminster campus. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2023: September 5, 2023 - December 17, 2023
2. Winter 2024: January 3, 2024 - April 24, 2024
3. Summer 2024: May 6, 2024 - August 18, 2024
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Student Assistant, Edge will assist with the planning and implementation of EDGE .Responsibilities
• Assist with creating learning outcomes, event goals and programming through consultation with students and campus partners.
• Assist with creating an event budget and track spending and foreseen costs.
• Support with the gathering of supplies, facility bookings, and catering.
• Assist with recruiting, interviewing, selecting, and training EDGE Leaders. Provide support and guidance to EDGE Leaders during the event.
• Assist with recruiting, training, and managing volunteers and leaders.
• Support with event registration and participant communication.
• Assist with supervising EDGE Leaders, volunteers, and participants during the event.
• Support with arising issues with maturity and thoughtfulness.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• You have excellent written and oral communication skills.
• You have strong organizational skills and excellent time management.
• You are comfortable with public speaking and addressing crowds.
• You can deal with issues with maturity and thoughtfulness as they arise.
• You have been involved on campus through student groups, volunteered or worked as a student assistant.
• Experience in event planning for student events is an asset.
• Experience in EDGE and/or other orientation events is an asset.Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term; OR
4. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the institution in the term immediately following the work termInternational students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 08/11/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/11207