Intermediate Mechanical Fire Protection Designer: Harvey 2585
We are currently seeking a self-motivated, hardworking Intermediate Mechanical Fire Protection Designer to join our Vancouver, BC office.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to gain valuable hands-on work experience in a dynamic, team-based working environment, as well as grow and develop their professional career within the consulting industry.
What we are looking for:
- Assist with the preparation of drawings and schematics.
- Coordinate with other consulting disciplines to ensure drawing integrity and completeness.
- Work with project team and Project Manager to ensure on-time project completion.
- Escalate resource issues to the appropriate Project Manager.
- Review architectural and structural drawings.
- Perform system hydraulic calculations.
- Arrange sprinklers on the drawings in accordance with current NFPA standards.
- Verify drawings in accordance with established procedures.
- Work with contractors and respond to technical inquiries.
- Provide technical and administrative support through all phases of the project.
- Help establish and promote client relationships.
- Strive to ensure quality and timely delivery of finished products to clients.
- Overtime as required.
Qualifications, Experience and Education:
- Completion of post-secondary education in a related field such as Mechanical Engineering, Fire Protection Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology, or Building Systems Technology.
- Working towards obtaining Applied Science Technologist & Technicians designation or Professional Engineers designation in British Columbia.
- 3 to 7 years of relevant work experience in the design of building fire protection systems.
- Background developing construction documents using AutoCAD and/or Revit.
- Familiar with bid and tendering process.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office tools including Excel, Word, Project, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with customers and client base.
- Experience working in a team-based environment.
- Experience in site investigations and construction review is considered an asset.
- Experience in the design of water-based sprinkler protection systems.
- Previous experience with laying out and hydraulically sizing the fire protection system using commercially available software (i.e.. Tyco FOT and Elite Sprinkler).
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines/successful completion of deliverables.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization, including executives.
- Able to communicate ideas and recommendations to non-engineer team members in a clear manner.
- Knowledge of Canadian Engineering standards.
- Advanced working knowledge of the provincial building code and NFPA standards.
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning.
- Excellent time management skills and project management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Analytical, thorough, resourceful and detail oriented.
- Team and customer service focused.
- Self-motivated, hardworking, flexible.
This is a full-time position.
Salary is open depending on experience.
Benefits package after 3 months:
- The opportunity to work on significant, innovative, and sustainable projects.
- Career development opportunities, including mentorship and training.
- Collaboration with team members across Canada.
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits.
- RRSP matching.
- Professional development fees covered.