Position Title Student Research Assistant, Archaeological (HSS) Posting Number 02012SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $18.95/hour Position Type Student Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/05/2023 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift N/A Work Arrangements
The position is located at the New Westminster Campus. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2023: September 5, 2023 - December 17, 2023
2. Winter 2024: January 3, 2024 - April 24, 2024
3. Summer 2024: May 6, 2024 - August 18, 2024
This position will be located in the Department of Anthropology and the Anthropology Preparatory Laboratory.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Assisting with archaeological research resulting from fieldwork conducted in Salishan Territory.Responsibilities
- Sorting and analysis of artifacts from field excavations
- Entering data from lab into archaeological databases
- Preparation of charcoal samples to submit for radiocarbon assay
- Researching archaeological sites via online databases as background for an archaeological report about the investigations
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Students must have completed Introduction to Archaeology ( ANTH 1112); other courses in Archaeology or Anthropology will also be helpful. Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in British Columbia throughout the work term; OR
4. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the institution in the term immediately following the work termInternational students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 09/14/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2023
2. Winter 2024
3. Summer 2024
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/11358