TERM FULL-TIME POSITION UNTIL MARCH 31, 2022
LOCATION: Provincial Office – Station Tower (13401 – 108th Avenue, Surrey)
CLOSES: Posting will remain open until closed and will close without notice
ABOUT MÉTIS NATION BRITISH COLUMBIA
Métis Nation British Columbia (MNBC) develops and enhances opportunities for our Métis communities by implementing culturally relevant social and economic programs and services. Through teamwork, respect, dedication, accountability, integrity, and professionalism, MNBC strives to build a proud, self-governing, sustainable Nation in recognition of inherent rights for our Métis citizens, assisting in the delivery of services based on policy, process, and specified regulations.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are seeking a highly motivated, team-orientated individual to join our Ministry of Youth team as a Youth Program Coordinator.
Reporting to the Manager of the Ministry of Youth, the primary objective of the role is to manage a portfolio of Ministry of Youth (MOY) events and programs. In doing so, the Youth Program Coordinator will provide leadership in the planning, coordination and evaluation of these events and programs which are designed to enhance opportunities for Métis youth in British Columbia.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage a portfolio with several Ministry of Youth (MOY) events/programs.
- Work with the Senior Director to coordinate the planning and development of a volunteer-driven and focused youth program, develop and implement volunteer recruitment, screening and placement processes, and promote and market volunteerism so that individuals, families, and groups have a greater awareness of how their skills, interest, talents and education can contribute to strengthening the community.
- Liaise with Métis Chartered Communities and/or other organizations seeking volunteers to identify opportunities and communicate with volunteers to update them on volunteer opportunities.
- Coordinate event logistics, including but not limited to, rental bookings, participant registration, travel booking, caterer booking, venue booking, contractor management, and agenda scheduling, liaising with project partners.
- Perform event and program related administrative duties, including but not limited to, writing acknowledgement and thank you letters, executing mass mailings, and purchasing event materials, maintain event budgets and track expenditures/transactions and evaluate budget and event’s success.
- Manage and oversee events/workshops on the day of, including but not limited to, welcoming participants, executing event set-up and tear-down, communicating with staff, and organizing vendors/contractors, problem-solving.
- Participate in and provide input into MOY’s overall strategic planning and budgeting process in cooperation with the Senior Director of Youth and other staff.
- Develop and maintain a volunteer database and program statistics and reports to track opportunities, hours served, requests or concerns, plan and grow the volunteer program to meet the needs of the organization.
- Represent MNBC and MOY at community events across the province and engage the public about MNBC programs and services, as required.
- Assist MOY in developing new opportunities to build awareness of Métis people and enhance opportunities for Métis youth across the province.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Child and Youth Care, Event Planning, Communications, Public or Community Relations, or a related field.
- Minimum of two (2) years of event planning, project coordination, non-profit, government, or related experience
- Combination of relevant experience, education, and training will be considered.
- Knowledge and/or awareness of the historical and contemporary contributions made by Métis people in B.C.
- Experience in writing professional reports and managing event/program budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to lead, problem solve, and utilize team-building skills
- Proven ability to utilize strong interpersonal skills to deal with others effectively
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision
- Proven ability to utilize, adapt and embrace new technologies, including Word, Excel and other database/software required by the role
- Other duties may be assigned as needed to help ensure the efficient operation of MNBC
- There will be a need to attend meetings and events which may require work and travel outside of the normal business hours
- Ability to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s license and access to reliable personal vehicle for work purposes
The above requirements are what MNBC is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change based on needs.
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants who self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nation, Métis or Inuit). All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Using Youth Program Coordinator in the subject line of your email, please send your resume and cover letter to:
Manager, Ministry of Youth
Métis Nation British Columbia
MNBC is committed to promoting the health, safety, and well-being of all staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. The safety of our employees and Chartered Communities is paramount, and vaccination against COVID-19 is a key public measure to reduce the spread and severity of the virus and its variants. As such, we have recently announced all employees, vendors, and visitors are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to come to MNBC offices. Effective November 15, 2021: full vaccination against COVID-19 is required to be eligible for employment at Métis Nation BC. All individuals must provide Proof of Vaccination, to be verified by Human Resources, as a mandatory condition of their employment.
Community and Social Services