As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city-and their careers-forward. Build a City. Build a Future
at the City of Surrey.
Union - CUPE Local 402
Under the supervision of the Intervention Programs Manager, the Youth Counsellor provides professional counselling to Surrey youth in an outreach capacity with the overarching aim of preventing and reducing criminal and negative behavior.
- Meet with youth and families to assess underlying reasons for a youth's involvement in criminal activity and/or risky behaviour.
- Provide early intervention through short-term counselling.
- Facilitate referrals to appropriate community resources in order to guide youth toward healthy decision-making.
- Promote behavioural change through rapport-building, education, skill development, and community partnerships.
- Case management, case coordination, assessment of youth and family risk factors, and collaborative development of individualized program plans.
- Record ongoing confidential progress reports of counselling sessions through summaries and recommendations.
- Provide professional guidance to other community professionals and RCMP members.
- Represent the program on community committees and at various professional agency meetings.
- Perform other job-related duties as required.
- Grade 12 supplemented by a University Degree in Social Work, Psychology, or a related field from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Minimum 2 years experience working with youth in a one to one counselling role.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Special consideration given to people with previous experience working with Indigenous youth and families.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver's License with safe driving record, as well as access to a personal vehicle.
- Able to obtain and maintain the relevant level of RCMP enhanced reliability security clearance throughout employment.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Conditions of Employment
This position requires completion of an RCMP Reliability Security Clearance.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
This job will be posted until September 12, 2019.
Our Values Integrity - Service - Teamwork - Innovation - Community
Law Enforcement and Security