Position Title Weight and Equipment Room Student Assistant Posting Number 00663SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level I Salary Range $13.85/hour Position Type Student Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/03/2019 End Date Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift See work arrangements Work Arrangements
Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2019: September 3, 2019 - December 16, 2019
2. Winter 2020: January 2, 2020 - April 22, 2020
3. Summer 2020: May 4, 2020 - August 16, 2020
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Student Assistant - Weight Room and Equipment Room will be front line staff for the New Westminster weight room and equipment rooms at both the New Westminster and Coquitlam Campus. As the first point of contact for people in these areas, there is a significant focus on customer service, oral communication, attentiveness, respectability, and cleanliness. The successful candidates will be part of the Sport Facilities team that are essential contributors to the effective operations of the gymnasiums, movement studios, and equipment room, as well as in the support of academic and other programs that use these spaces.Responsibilities
- Assist in the day-to-day operations of the college weight room, equipment rooms, and movement studios, including but not limited to tracking weight room and equipment usage using Activenet software, inventory control, and general equipment cleaning and maintenance.
- Assist in the support of academic courses when using the gymnasiums, movement studios, and/or weight rooms, including directly communicating with students and faculty.
- Assist in space planning in the equipment room and weight room.
- Support activities of the Student Affairs and Services department, as directed by the Sport Facilities Coordinator.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Be passionate about health and wellness.
- Basic understanding of fitness room equipment, including how to adjust machines.
- To be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Experience working with Microsoft Word and Excel, and Google Docs and Sheets, among other software.
- Knowledge of the Douglas College physical campus layout is considered an asset.
- Experience working in an environment with inventory control is considered an asset.
- An understanding of sport or a sport background is preferred.
- BCRPA certification and experience with Activenet/ CLASS software are considered an asset.
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 08/22/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must ensure that a resume and cover letter are submitted online. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying.
Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position.
All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2019
2. Winter 2020
3. Summer 2020
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/5039