Closing Date: February 15, 2023
Reporting to the Sr. Lead, Water Resources, the Water Resource Engineer / Geoscientist will be responsible for hydrometric monitoring and modeling programs and will support permitting, compliance, and managing the site's water resources.
The successful candidate will work as part of a team to implement Teck's Water Governance for an extensive water management network servicing operating and legacy tailings facilities, water supply dams, and water supply infrastructure.
To be successful in this role, we are looking for someone with outstanding problem solving, interpersonal, and communication skills; a motivated self-starter, who can remain organized and prioritize contending demands in a fast-paced team environment.
Join us in the Highland Valley and enjoy a variety of recreational opportunities, such as hiking, skiing, fishing, and golf! The mine site is a 50-minute drive from Kamloops, B.C. which provides all of the comforts of city living. The mine site is also close to Merritt, Ashcroft, and Logan Lake, which all exude a small-town community atmosphere.Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Technical oversight of surface water monitoring and management programs, and modelling studies
- Develop scopes of work, project plans and request for proposals
- Prepare schedules and cost estimates, track costs, and prepare forecasts for projects
- Manage contractors and consultants
- Conduct health and safety risk assessments, implement controls to mitigate hazards, conduct inspections, report incidents and participate in audits and investigations
- Training of junior employees, co-op students, and contractors
- Available for periodic after-hours response to environmental incidents, as needed
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned or required
- Bachelor's Degree in Water Resource, Civil or Environmental Engineering, or one of the Earth Sciences disciplines (i.e., Hydrology, Hydrogeology, Water Resources) and eligible for immediate registration with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia
- Minimum of 7 years technical experience in the field of hydrology, hydrogeology, and/or water management and with managing projects
- Experience with water monitoring and proficient in data management
- Experience with data analytics and AQUARIUS, EQuIS, and PowerBI is an asset
- Experience using Goldsim simulation software for water balance modelling is desired
- This position requires the ability to regularly walk over uneven, sloped, rocky, wet or icy ground.
- Technical knowledge of relevant federal and provincial environmental legislation, standards, and effective industry practices
- Strong analytical and decision-making abilities with a proven capacity in practical problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work as part of a team in a dynamic environment
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.Job Segment:
Coal Mining, Environmental Engineering, Engineer, Geology, Mining, Engineering
Construction, Mining and Trades