Ambitious VP Finance! Truly unique opportunity to lead a finance function for a very entrepreneurial company growing rapidly through acquisition and organically.
Who- the Company:
Our client is a growing family of construction and industrial services companies privately owned by three inspiring down to earth and bright owners. This is a unique opportunity with a truly entrepreneurial organization that is growing rapidly through both acquisition and organic growth.
This company is active in the strategic support for their independently run businesses, proactive in the development of their people; indefinite in their investment horizon, and straightforward in their communication and in work and their lives. Spanning across a variety of businesses, the current and long-term strategic focus of the company is the acquisition and development of their family of Industrial and Construction Services businesses across Canada and the US.
What- the Role:
We are currently searching for a Vice President of Finance and Administration to join our team. Reporting to CFO and an owner this role will be hands on and have strategic oversight over the group of companies and manage teams.
The successful candidate will have the demonstrated capabilities and drive to continue a strong career growth trajectory with the goal of growing into the CFO role over the coming 3 – 5 years, as they continue to grow the group of companies through acquisition.
Key responsibilities include:
Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Quarterly consolidation and reporting package to our bank debt providers
- Annual audit leadership and management
- Monthly consolidated reporting at the group level
- Capital accounting and cash management
- Holding company financial accounting, tax compliance, monthly processes, including coordination with external auditors and service providers, and correspondence with CRA as necessary
- Preparing expense reports, reconciling credit card statements, and invoices costs and fees to operating companies
- Management of intercompany balances, transactions with holding companies etc...
- Payroll and related filings and annual reporting
- Monthly financial reports for each operating company
- Monthly financials, comparison to budget, scorecard, sales pipelines, etc…
- Cash flow reporting and forecasting for operating companies and the overall group level
- Preparing budgets at the operating company and overall group level, with budget-to-actual explanations monthly
Financial Management & Admin
- Bank finance management – interest tracking, including managing swaps, lease tracking, new lease information, etc.
- Bonding and insurance renewals for the company and supporting the same at the operating company level
- IT management
- Determining availability of fees to holding companies and processing payments/tracking amounts due
- Treasury management across the group, including the coordination across multiple entities
- Tax planning for major transactions and owner’s compensation, and execution of the chosen tax plan
- Management of junior staff (EA, junior accounting resource, etc.)
Oversight and execution of controls
- Oversight of operating company finance and accounting processes
- Verifying that month end and year end processes are being completed and reviewed
- Monitoring key information such as ageing of AR
- Back-up support to the operating company accounting teams, as required
Project Related Activities
- Accounting system selection and change processes
- Control process documentation for newly acquired entities / rolling out accounting process checklists in new entities. Support onboarding of key financial personnel
- Business case and tax analysis for new opportunities
- Interest rate and treasury optimization
Who- the Candidate:
The ideal candidate possesses a CPA designation and a track record of progressive, strong career growth. You have trained at one of the leading accounting firms and achieved the role of Manager or Senior Manager prior to entering an industry role. You have been working in progressively senior finance roles for at least ten years. Since in industry, you will have demonstrated progression with advancing into leadership roles. Ideal would be with a smaller company where you are accustomed to rolling up your sleeves.
You thrive in entrepreneurial organizations with A+ players and high expectations. You are driven and motivated by career growth opportunities. As our company grows, you are excited about the opportunity to expand the scope and complexity of your role. As we grow, the ideal candidate will thrive in an environment where in addition to overseeing a distributed team, they are expected to roll up their sleeves to get things done.
You enjoy business, and the people that drive business; and are expert at working with people at all levels to drive performance and standards in a manner that fits at the local level and rolls up to consistency at the group level.
You will lead a team of distributed financial staff at the local business level and will have the opportunity to build your team at the group level. You will be responsible for being proactive and the thought leader about continuous improvement across the finance and admin function, including IT.
You will travel to our businesses to work with your teams at the local level in each business. As the group continues to grow, travel requirements will continue to intensify with increasing role responsibilities. Approximate travel time will be 25-50% travel within North America (Western US).
Competitive market-based salary and bonus (based on experience and fit for role) and benefits. Benefits include: Health and dental, professional dues, training allowance.
How & When to Apply:
This search is moving quickly. There will be at least 3 interview steps. If you are interested, please let me know soon! I’m also of course always open to referrals if the timing is not right for yourself but know someone else who may be qualified for the role.
Accounting Banking, Finance and Insurance