Position Title Volcanology Student Research Assistant Posting Number 00676SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $15.79/hour Position Type Student Research Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/03/2019 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift N/A Work Arrangements
Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2019: September 3, 2019 - December 16, 2019
2. Winter 2020: January 2, 2020 - April 22, 2020
3. Summer 2020: May 4, 2020 - August 16, 2020
This position will be located in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences in the Faculty of Science and Technology at Douglas College.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The student research assistant will be involved in a volcanic hazard monitoring project at Mount Meager volcano, south-west BC. The project is a collaboration between Douglas College, Simon Fraser University and the Geological Survey of Canada. The specific student research project involves sampling the hot springs around Mount Meager (this project involves field work) and establishing a time series dataset of the chemistry of the hot springs with the long-term goal of monitoring the volcanic activity of Mount Meager.Responsibilities
• Undergo training in field sampling methods of hot springs, safety protocol and field readiness.
• Conduct at least one field trip to Mount Meager in the early fall and conduct field measurements of the hot springs (temperature, pH, total dissolved solids, etc.) as well as collect samples of the waters (following a specific sampling protocol).
• Sending the samples off to a commercial lab for analysis, reviewing the data when it comes back (quality control and analysis).
• Inputting the data into an excel spreadsheet, running some basic algorithms and plotting simple graphs to interpret the data. Creating the foundation of a long-term database to track the chemistry of the hot springs and establish a baseline from which to assess future volcanic hazards.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
Have completed a minimum of EAES 1120 and one other EAES course. Be proficient in Microsoft Excel. Completion of CHEM 1110 is not required but desirable. Some outdoor experience hiking and camping is also desirable.
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 09/11/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/5113