Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Term: Permanent position
Travel: Approximately 10% of the time
Lumerical is looking for a Vice President (VP) of Engineering & Research to actively lead the creation and delivery of innovative, best-in-class engineering software products. As a member of the company’s executive team, the VP E&R oversees the R&D and Product Development teams and directs all of Lumerical’s product development and innovation efforts. The VP E&R is expected to create an environment that fosters innovation while implementing new processes and approaches to improve productivity. The successful candidate is a dedicated team player who is tolerant of risk and uncertainty, thrives in a highly-technical, collaborative environment and has significant experience leading multidisciplinary teams.
Reporting to the CEO, the successful applicant will be responsible for:
- Creating the company’s technological innovation and development strategy to ensure its ongoing leadership position in the photonic simulation software industry and overseeing the translation of research discoveries into highly usable, marketable products;
- Participating in the formulation of the company objectives, and working together with the leadership team to drive product adoption, improve the customer experience, and support the continued growth of the company;
- Collaborating with the CTO to foster a creative technological environment and ensure that company is able to achieve its long term technological vision;
- Working with the Director of R&D to set departmental objectives and build an innovative scientific team that can reduce technological risk prior to software development;
- Working with the Director of Product Development to set departmental objectives and build a highly productive software development team;
- Communicating to all relevant internal and external stakeholders Lumerical’s technological vision, expertise and precision of execution; and
- Developing, implementing and staffing an appropriate management structure by identifying skill gaps and taking a leadership role in recruiting the necessary talent.
The successful candidate will possess the following attributes, qualifications, and experience:
- An undergraduate degree in business, electrical engineering, computer science or another relevant area of study;
- Many years of experience in increasingly senior roles within the field of software development;
- Proven track record with respect to managing development and delivery of high quality software;
- Technical competence to understand complex products and develop a vision for the future;
- Organizational and process design expertise;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; and
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Any of the following would be considered an asset:
- Executive-level experience in building and leading R&D, engineering and software development teams through the growth phase of a company;
- An MBA or other graduate-level degree relevant to Lumerical’s business; and
- Leadership experience within a rapidly growing company.
If you're interested in the position, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]