VET SPEC - Veterinary Microbiologist Position Classification
Veterinary Specialist Union
Abbotsford, BC V5T 5E3 CA (Primary)Salary Range
$85,997.38 - $107,794.73 annually Close Date
6/19/2020 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Agriculture Ministry Branch / Division
Agriculture Science & Policy Job Summary Veterinary Microbiologist
Although this position has onsite office based requirements, it may temporarily be performed virtually due to the current extraordinary circumstances related to COVID-19. This will remain in place until physical distancing advisories are lifted.
Due to present physical distancing requirements related to COVID-19, the recruitment process for this competition may take place virtually.
You receive an annual payment for the highest level of relevant training or education you possess: Level 1 - $4,000 for postgraduate (DVM) education or training to the diploma or Master's level, Level 2 - $10,000 for postgraduate (DVM) education or training to the Ph.D. or board certification level.
An eligibility list may be established.An excellent senior opportunity for a dedicated professional
The Plant and Animal Health Branch (PAHB) of the Ministry of Agriculture provides veterinary diagnostic laboratory and disease investigation services for the Province. The Animal Health Centre (AHC) is the provincial veterinary diagnostic laboratory, which has a mandate to provide diagnostic, monitoring, investigative, surveillance and regulatory programs for livestock, poultry, companion animals, captive and free-living wildlife and finfish production industries of British Columbia.
The purpose of this position is to provide supervision, and oversight for the Bacteriology Unit and Microbiology laboratory facility, including managing staff and financial resources, managing stakeholder relationships, and quality assurance program standards in a consistent manner, participating in provincial policy development, and overseeing program delivery and professional projects. This position is responsible for development and validation of new diagnostic tools for the detection of animal pathogens, including molecular diagnostics.
Working for BC Public Service offers a competitive salary, diverse work environment, a healthy work/life balance, and excellent benefits. In addition to the base salary for Professional Employee Association members, there is an allowance to cover professional fees, strong dental and medical plans and much more . Salary listed does not include the additional 7% Overtime Shift Standby (OSS) provision that can be taken astaken as time off or salary on an annual basis which is on top offour (4)weeks ofannual leave.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Ursula.Viney@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm PacificTime on the closing date of the competition.JOB REQUIREMENTS:In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from an educational institute accredited by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, or successful completion of the North American Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE) and other pre-requisite exams required to obtain a full licence to practice in British Columbia.
- Post graduate training in Veterinary Microbiology to the Master's level.
- Must be eligible to be licensed to practice by the College of Veterinarians of British Columbia (CVBC).
- Clinical hands on laboratory experience in Bacteriology bench work.
- Experience with development, optimization, validation, quality control, application and/or troubleshooting of molecular diagnostics methods, including conventional and real time PCR methods for detection of animal pathogens.
- Experience leading staff on projects or program delivery.
- Experience supervising and/or managing staff in laboratory setting.
Preference may be given to candidates with any of the following:
- A Ph.D. in microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry or related discipline and minimum 2 years' experience in veterinary microbiology and/or molecular diagnostics.
- Current accreditation with the American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (ACVM).
- Experience in a veterinary diagnostic bacteriology and/or molecular diagnostics laboratory.
- Experience supervising and/or managing staff in a Microbiology lab in a diagnostic laboratory setting.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
- Valid B.C. driver's licence or equivalent.
- Requirement to obtain rabies vaccination upon employment (if not previous vaccinated) and required to participate in the rabies vaccination and titre program.
- Willing to be trained where additional skills are needed to meet the above requirements.
- Willing to perform bench work.
- Meet safety standards of WorkSafe BC.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Cover letter: YES
- A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES
- As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT:
Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.Job Category
Health Services, Leadership and Management, Policy, Research and Economics, Scientific and Technical