Unit Clerk, NICU BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre Vancouver BC
Are you efficient and detail-oriented? Our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre (BCW) is looking for Casual Unit Clerk's to join their team!
BCW offers comprehensive maternity care and a range of programs and clinics dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and their families.
We are seeking Unit Clerks interested to growing professionally and be a part of a diverse clerical team!
Our Unit Clerks
are responsible for the following
What you bring
- Answer the telephone, take and relay messages, call/page appropriate personnel to telephone for physician's orders and patient diagnoses reports, and send/receive faxed information.
- Enter patient information into Cerner system for discharge, transfer to other facilities and transfer between units.
- Make appropriate arrangements for patients requiring procedures, both inside and outside the facility such as laboratory tests, CT scans and ultrasounds by booking appointment times, booking ambulance as instructed, and informing applicable care provider.
- Transcribe and process physicians' orders to appropriate forms i.e.: medication record, kardex, for laboratory tests, medications, diagnostic tests and treatments for Registered Nurse (RN)'s approval. Notify primary RN of stat orders.
- Check all charts for any physician's orders not processed by the end of every shift, process these orders as necessary, and notify the charge nurse immediately with any questions related to unprocessed orders.
- Prepare charts for new admissions by performing such duties as making identification labels, imprinting chart sheets and attaching physicians' standing orders.
- Maintain patient records including filing loose reports as they arrive on the nursing unit, retrieving previous charts for mothers of newborns from Health Records if requested. Dismantle patient charts on discharge or transfer by distributing and filing sheets according to established procedures and ensuring all patient's documents in chart.
- Prepare charts for patient transfers to other facilities, by photocopying necessary information or sending information via FAX or by computer.
- Complete demographic information on forms for Vital Statistics including physician's Notice of Birth, in accordance with hospital policies and Vital Statistics regulations.
- Notify departments such as Dietary and Housekeeping, of patient's requirements including discharge or transfer.
- Perform related clerical duties such as compiling, preparing and maintaining statistics under the direction of the Program Manager, producing reports, delivering and picking up items, maintaining departmental levels of stationery and office supplies, notifying appropriate personnel of equipment repair and maintenance, and preparing necessary documentation.
- Grade 12 graduation.
- Graduation from an approved Nursing Unit Clerk program.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- One (1) year of recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
You also have the ability to:
What we bring
- Keyboard at least 40 wpm.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Utilize a variety of computer software applications
- Organize your work.
- Operate related equipment.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
Mutiple Casual Opportunities Available Wage: $24.46 hourly Location: 4500 Oak St, Vancouver, BC Applications will be accepted until the position is filled What we do
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education.
BCW is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCW are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.