Tool & Die Maker
BC Cancer Agency
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.The Tool and Die Maker repairs, maintains, modifies and fabricates equipment, fixtures and related accessories. Fabricates and repairs new devices and experimental apparatus.What you'll do
What you bring
- Utilizes tools and equipment such as a Computer Aided Design/Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAD/CAM) milling machine, Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) and arc welders, soldering equipment, lathe and drill press to design, repair, maintain, modify and fabricate equipment, fixtures and related accessories.
- Fabricates and repairs accessories and related devices such as wedge filters, multi-leaf collimator parts, compensating devices for beam therapy units.
- Conducts preventative maintenance and carries out scheduled and unscheduled servicing on the mechanical aspects of the beam therapy units and other equipment.
- Fabricates and repairs fixtures directly related to the treatment of individual patients such as machined or cast immobilization jigs and patient positioning devices.
- Constructs and repairs and assists with design where appropriate experimental apparatus such as a humanoid phantoms and unique quality assurance devices for the RT Process and other areas as required.
- Maintains inventory of machine shop materials and orders additional materials as required. Forwards requests for machine shop equipment and supplies to the Medical Physics/Planning Module Leader.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Certified Journeyperson Tool and Die Maker. Three (3) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills & Knowledge
What we bring
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
$38.97 / Hour
399 Royal Ave, Kelowna, BC V1Y 5L3
Applications accepted until position is filled
Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday 0800-1600. Overtime as operationally required.
153873EAs per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments' unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commision Mandate.ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of October 24, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.