Technical Writer (CARD2290)
Reference ID: %7B7BBD2FC8-2F54-4C3F-84CB-85111143D100%7D
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) protects the most valuable assets of some of the largest enterprise, service provider and government organizations across the globe. The company's fast, secure and global cyber security solutions provide broad, high-performance protection against dynamic security threats while simplifying the IT infrastructure. They are strengthened by the industry's highest level of threat research, intelligence and analytics. Unlike pure-play network security providers, Fortinet can solve organizations' most important security challenges, whether in networked, application or mobile environments - be it virtualized/cloud or physical. More than 210,000 customers worldwide, including some of the largest and most complex organizations, trust Fortinet to protect their brands. Learn more at http://www.fortinet.com , the Fortinet Blog or FortiGuard Labs .
Fortinet is looking for an intermediate technical writer to join its small documentation team based in Burnaby.
We are looking for someone to help document software products. We also document hardware products, but the majority of the job revolves around GUI software documentation.
We produce a wide range of documents and make use of a wide range of skills. All writers are responsible for writing concepts and procedures that describe how to use our software. Some writers also draw vector images of hardware and accessories by using Adobe Illustrator, and some writers use the CLI to update reference guides. Some documents are generated by scripts, and some writers help maintain those scripts.
Although you are not required to have all of the skills we utilize to join our team, you must have outstanding English language skills, a curiosity for technology, a passion for creating useful technical content, and an interest in single-sourcing content. You must also possess the ability to document features by reading specifications, talking to subject matter experts, and using software. All writers have the opportunity to develop skills in areas that interest them.
Develop and maintain documentation for our customers, including:
• Installation and upgrade guides
• Release notes
• Administration and user guides
• Context-sensitive online help
• CLI Reference guides
• API guides
• Illustrations of hardware and accessories
• Diagrams and charts
• Other customer-facing product documentation as needed
To do this, you will:
• Work closely with product management and engineering teams to understand the products and their documentation requirements
• Read specifications, communicate with subject matter experts, and use in-development software to learn features and understand how Fortinet products work
• Write conceptual and procedural content
• Work with other technical writers to single-source content and collaborate on large documents
• Balance short-term and long-term projects
• Communicate project status by creating and updating content plans
• Bring your ideas to help improve our processes, documents, and templates
• Experience using some or all of the following software: MadCap Flare, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop
• Experience working in a software development environment
• Ability to convert complex technical information into clean, concise, and coherent end-user documentation in plain English
• Strong command of standard American English grammar and usage
• A BA or BS degree, preferably in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, MIS, English, or a related field
Posted: September 14, 2018
Closes: November 13, 2018