Technical Solutions EngineerTake your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.ABB Marine & Ports (PAMP) is transforming the industry through electrical, digital and connected solutions. Our innovative technologies are redefining the future, bringing new levels of reliability, efficiency and sustainability to shipping while making our ports and terminals safer, greener and more productive. This position is ideally suited for a self-driven person who thrives in a high-performance team environment. Our team is passionate about decarbonization of the marine industry through electrification and strategic deployment of ABB's innovative technology. The successful candidate will take ownership of both individual projects and overall team process improvement. The position falls within ABB's Marine and Ports Sales group in North America. The position is a combined technical and sales role that requires:1.Strong technical competence,2.Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills3.Knowledge of new build program execution, and,4.Ability to develop innovative solutions based on customer requirements Reporting to the Technical Solutions Manager, Marine Systems, you will be a critical pillar in our small and dynamic team. Your responsibilities
- Support operators and ship designers in developing the optimized designs by evaluating different propulsion solutions and the respective value proposition of each alternative.
- Develop marine power and propulsion system concepts based on ABB's core technology.
- Lead the development of technical bid proposals for integrated power systems (new build & major retrofits) to North, Central, and South American Marine customers.
- Develop detailed project costing for proposal. Costing process includes equipment/system costing, engineering work breakdown development and hours estimation, Level 1 schedule development, risk budget allocation, cash flow analysis, etc.
- Preparation of equipment and system technical specifications for equipment procurement activities.
- Development of technical Statements of Work for sub-supplier contracts.
- Perform design feasibility studies for large, multi-phase projects with often highly-detailed and customized requirements.
- Provide pre-sales product specifications support.
- Perform techno-economic and lifecycle cost calculations for new technology with application for marine and hybrid applications using ABB's custom tools.
- Serve as the local technical resource and liaison for ship designers and customers.
- Co-ordinate with third party vendors and internal ABB factories to obtain suitable technical and commercial quotations.
- Attend customer meetings on proposal/technical clarifications.
- Strategize and build key relationships with operators and designers.
- Develop and manage ABB's internal tools.
- Pro-actively drive and support process improvement initiatives
- Manage handover of orders to project management under observation of the com-pany processes.
- Prepare and delivery technical presentations at trade-shows, conferences, or indus-try events.
- Prepare technical white papers for publication in the support of ABB solutions.
- Research competitors' technical solutions in order to support development of sales arguments.
- Total travel up to 35%- mostly domestic North America - approx. 2 European trips per year. Travel to trade shows and conferences to support sales activities.
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of experience in the maritime or electrical micro-grid industry.
- Experience in designing hybrid power systems including diesel/gas generators, energy storage fuel cells, etc.
- Strong proficiency in MS Excel.
- The ability to self-learn and operate autonomously is considered a must.
- Solid understanding of AC and DC power system fundamentals and conversion equipment.
- Experience with development of detailed project costing.
- Experience with marine regulatory bodies: US Coast Gard Code of Federal Regulations, Classification Societies.
- Strong understanding of marine electrical power systems.
- Strong technical writing competence.
- Experience in performing energy calculations with thorough understanding of conversion efficiency.
More about us
- Retirement plan
- Healthcare plan
- Wellbeing program
We look forward to receiving your application (documents submitted in English are appreciated). If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.Work model: remote #LI-remoteWork model: hybrid #LI-hybridWork model: on site #LI-onsite