December 12, 2018
Reporting to the Senior Geotechnical Engineer Supervisor, the Tailings Engineer is responsible for ensuring compliance of our tailings management system, and with all necessary corporate and legal requirements as they evolve. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with various site departments, corporate tailings personnel, and the engineer of record towards the safe operation, surveillance, and ongoing maintenance of the tailings facility and water impoundment dams. Additionally they will work to integrate new tailings related facilities and components into the tailings management system and to ensure sufficient tailings capacity for site needs Responsibilities
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Perform routine dam inspections of the tailings facility and various site water dam structures, report on those inspections, and provide recommendations to the Engineering, Environment, and Processing groups
- Develop and refine tailings plans that will achieve regulatory compliance
- Work with the engineering, environmental, and processing teams to develop and execute short and long term construction and maintenance plans and schedules
- Work with the engineer of record to continuously improve and implement the quality assurance and control, construction monitoring, and dam surveillance programs
- Provide technical guidance and leadership on tailings management related issues
- Provide necessary reporting to site, corporate, and government agencies
- Maintain an action log of required tasks and their current status to ensure compliance, and adherence to the delivery of these tasks
- Assist with any required public consultations
- Coordinate activities with Consultants, Project Engineering, Processing, Environmental, necessary Teck corporate entities, contractors, and Government Regulators as required
- Provide updates to operating, maintenance, and surveillance manuals, along with emergency preparedness and response plans, and other management system documents
- Develop budgets and track costs on tailings related activities
- Plan, organize, develop, and maintain a tailings data library
- Work in compliance with all internal governance and regulatory requirements
- Perform other tasks as required or as assigned
- A bachelor's degree in Civil, Geological, Geotechnical, Environmental Engineering, or in a related discipline is required
- Must be a member of EGBC or eligible to register as an EIT or P. Eng
- Minimum three years of experience with mine tailings management or water dam management
- Project Management experience, including budgeting and costing, is an asset
- Previous experience with Canadian Dam Association guidelines and Mining Association of Canada tailings protocols is considered an asset
- Oil sands tailings operational experience, including dyke construction planning and execution, would be highly regarded
- Advanced computer skills including proficiency in tailings modeling and design and Microsoft Office Suite® applications
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, risk analysis, and decision making abilities
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to multi-task
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to excel in a team based environment
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills are essential
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
#LI-AK1#LI-JB1 Job Segment:
Construction, Engineer, Geology, Social Media, Engineering, Marketing, Mining