About Our Company
Founded in 2003, Aquatic Informatics is a global leader in software solutions for the water, environmental data and climate industries. We build unique productivity solutions for the rapidly growing environmental monitoring industry.
Selected as one of Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers in 2016 for the third consecutive year, Aquatic Informatics is one of the fastest growing clean technology companies in Canada and is the industry leader in software solutions for water data management and analysis.
We value independent thinking, initiative, teamwork, a relentless pursuit of quality, a playful spirit, and a sense of humour. We like smart people – IQ and EQ – who care about the environment and want to do good in the world.
You are looking to do something meaningful and fulfilling with the Software Engineering skills you have developed over the years. Previous roles have made you wonder if you're actually making a difference, and you swore the next job would be different. You have a keen eye for software quality, and are an exceptional Systems Test Developer with a strong desire for automating testing tasks that have traditionally been manual. You have tact, patience, and diplomacy in maintaining cooperative relationships and are skilled at communicating with both technical and non-technical people. You understand the software development process, are organized, and have a good sense of humour. You are good at being flexible and can handle having unfinished irons in the fire.
About the Opportunity
Working closely with other members of our development team, the Systems Test Developer ensures that multiple software products produced by Aquatic Informatics perform and function properly as an integrated system. This role is a key member of the team, and is an integral part of the development process and release strategy.
- Become an expert with AQUARIUS software and fluent in the terms and techniques of our customers.
- Design and execute an automated testing strategy for verifying functional interoperability of AQUARIUS software offerings with each other.
- Ensure compatibility of our software within different types of operating environments.
- Measure and monitor the performance of the AQUARIUS system to ensure software meets performance and reliability targets prior to release.
- Effectively determine performance bottlenecks.
- Maintain and administer our automated test servers, ensuring their capability to execute our nightly tests.
- Use manual and automated tests to ensure our releases do not introduce regression bugs.
- Provide training and guidance as appropriate.
- Create, track, and close software problem reports; validate documentation and release notes.
- 3+ years’ experience building automated test solutions in Windows OS environments using custom built (i.e. PowerShell, Perl, Python, VB, DOS, Linux scripting etc.) solutions.
- Experience automating the following: Windows machine provisioning in a virtualized environment; stress tests; deployment of software.
- Ability to write and debug .NET code.
- Working knowledge of SQL Server and Oracle databases.
- Proven success with automated and manual software testing methodologies.
- Proven knowledge and experience with large client/server applications.
- Confidence working with Windows internals, and knowledge of the nuances between the different editions.
- Confidence working within a Linux environment.
- Previous experience with hydrology and/or signal processing an asset.
- Experience automating tests against cloud test servers (AWS or similar) an asset.
- Experience with performance and security testing an asset.
- Proven ability to learn quickly, be resourceful, and work independently in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Experience deploying client-server software products across different operating systems.
- Well-developed problem solving and analytical skills; attention to detail.
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Ability to keep up with current trends and best practices through continuous self-improvement.
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to establish work priorities, effectively multi-task and balance varying demands.
- Rigorous and extremely thorough.
- Persuasive & diplomatic.
- Ability to show grace under pressure and to have fun at work.
We offer a competitive compensation package including benefits and a subsidized gym membership.