MDA is seeking a Senior Systems Operations Engineer that is primarily accountable for the architecture, design, implementation, configuration and deployment, and support of the network, computer, IT security, and storage systems for development and production environments for MDA mission critical systems. These systems include a variety of enterprise class business applications such as messaging and collaboration services, database and web services, storage area networks services, and financials services hosted in both an enterprise wide Active Directory environment, as well as in isolated standalone DMZ environments.
As the successful candidate, you will spend a significant time understanding customers and their needs, becoming the trusted expert and technical interface to help shape requirements and understand complex software and computer systems. You will leverage your experience over the entire system life-cycle, understand the customers' business objectives, and translate them into concepts, specifications, designs, and actual systems that will meet their objectives. You will apply proven engineering processes, prototype innovative and efficient new processes, and work with integrated technologies to support projects in the development, deployment, and operations of these large complex systems.
As a Senior Systems Operations Engineer, you will:
- Establish and demonstrate ownership of system engineering for overall network/hardware and IT security requirements, design, procurement, installation, configuration and administration.
- Maintain the system level network/hardware and IT security requirements and architectural design for our systems.
- Maintain the network/hardware and IT security design baseline through the system life-cycle.
- Ensure systems, procedures, and their corresponding or associated software are operating in accordance and comply with established Corporate security policies, procedures and standards.
- Leverage Vulnerability Assessment data to maintain system security.
- Expertise to progress MDA's capabilities in Penetration Testing (VA/PT) would be an asset.
- Lead performance of Threat and Risk Assessment.
- Be responsible for the build and deployment of Linux and Windows based information and data processing systems in both physical and virtualized environments.
- Establish, automate, support, and trouble-shoot deployment of both development and production environments, including detailed troubleshooting of complex system interactions with the underlying IT environment.
- Chair the IT Security Working Group meetings with external (e.g. client, CSEC, etc.) and internal (e.g. MDA IT domain experts) stakeholders required to define the technical solution.
- Prepare and maintain the on-site network/hardware installation plan.
- Support business development and create commercial offers to our customers.
- Manage technical risks.
Technical Requirements - some combination of:
- A University degree in Engineering, Applied Science, Computer Science, or Science from an accredited institution.
- 10+ years of relevant systems operations engineering experience.
- Proven ability to focus on the customer, to understand their needs, and to deliver results.
- Demonstrated experience with the development of Systems Operations concepts (requirements, traceability, design, hardware sizing, database performance, capacity management, system test, deployment and operations).
- Knowledge of current technologies and software security best practices.
- Possess strong interpersonal and negotiating skills, understand dependencies and stakeholder needs, and enjoy working extensively with customers, partners, sub-contractors, hardware and software vendors, IT, and project team members, building effective and lasting relationships.
- A team oriented approach to solving technical problems within budget and schedule constraints.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communications.
- Advanced knowledge in effective management of at least one commercial virtualization environment (i.e. VMware, Microsoft virtualization environment).
- Knowledge and experience in deploying, securing and configuring Windows environments (Active Directory, SMS, etc.) and Linux systems (SUSE/RedHat/CentOS/Ubuntu) for both physical and virtual environments.
- Proven experience with enterprise Linux, enterprise applications, multiple scripting languages, databases, configuration management, and any of Saltstack, Ansible, and Puppet configuration tools.
- Ideally will hold certification as one of GSEC, GCWN or GCUX (Covers OS area) as well as some combination of VMWare, MS virtualization, network or storage based certifications.
- Proven ability as a DevOps engineer, including automation and Continuous Integration; knowledge of High-Performance Computing, AWS, and system build automation processes and tools (Saltstack, Vagrant, etc.) is an asset.
- Specialty knowledge in reliability engineering, security, IT Infrastructure Library, software engineering, or electronics is an asset.
Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at the Reliability level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program.
MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision making. Using the latest technology to change the world. Our employees enjoy challenging careers with opportunity for growth and learning.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.