Job Description: Systems Engineer
Avigilon (TSX: AVO) provides trusted security solutions to the global market. Avigilon designs, develops, and manufactures video analytics, network video management software and hardware, surveillance cameras, and access control solutions. Avigilon’s solutions have been installed at thousands of customer sites, including school campuses, transportation systems, healthcare centers, public venues, critical infrastructure, prisons, factories, casinos, airports, financial institutions, government facilities, and retailers.
Our Systems Engineering team does work you probably won’t get to do anywhere else. If you’ve ever longed for a role where you can put your personal passion for hardware and software performance to use, at massive scale, this is it. If you grew up tweaking video drivers for a few extra FPS or optimized your storage for speed, you’ll fit right in with our team. From servers to embedded systems, our systems engineers optimize performance for our diverse customer base.
What kind of impact can you have? How about influencing the technology roadmap of two of the top three PC vendors worldwide, or helping Avigilon capture new market segments with customers who need to work with petabytes of storage -- all while working with the newest, most bleeding edge technology the market has seen. We work on challenges like finding ways to squeeze 25% faster disk performance than OEM vendors can offer. We look to deliver the limit of what technology can do!
We work every day with WPF, RAID, networking, security and performance, Windows operating systems, hardened micro-installations, and more. Sound good? Within your first 30 days you’ll:
After three months you will:
- Test, benchmark, and optimize servers, embedded systems, operating systems and software builds;
- Get a broad overview of video surveillance systems from end to end;
- Start eliminating bottlenecks in computers using your very strong analysis skills and problem solve when something isn’t working;
- Communicate extremely effectively and build relationships with internal software teams, IT, manufacturing, and others including third party vendors.
Within 6 months you should:
- Work with other team members on platform selection for our products;
- Automate testing of hardware and software using Powershell scripting, and optimally also code in C# and contribute to our benchmarking / testing suite;
- Master documentation requirements and communicate clearly with other business units who depend on your support for their operations.
After a year you should be:
- Work with our manufacturing team to automate the assembly, configuration and mass production of computers via disk imaging;
- Refactor scripts into application-based testing;
- Assist other team members in software & devices to make key changes to product elements.
Perks and Benefits:
- Optimizing systems for big data.
- Building a rolling disk image system available to manufacturing daily, with automated testing, etc.
- Thinking about where your career will take you: field application engineering? Pre- and Post- sales? Large-scale system design?
As a full-time employee at Avigilon, you are eligible to receive a comprehensive benefits package which includes MSP, extended health, dental, medical insurance while travelling, and the opportunity to participate in the Employee Share Purchase Plan (ESPP). You will also receive a health spending account to cover additional healthcare costs, such as vision care, RMT and chiropractor visits.
Perks at our Yaletown office include an outdoor basketball court and full service indoor gym, as well as excellent proximity to public transportation.