Location: Burnaby, Canada
Thales people architect solutions that support 85 million mainline and suburban passenger journeys, worldwide, every day. Our Rail Signalling and Communication systems are used on metro lines across major cities, and 72,000 kms of route, 52,000 trains per day in 16 countries are controlled by our Traffic Management Systems. Together We deployed the first-ever nationwide ticketing system which processes over 50 million ticketing transactions in 100 cities daily.Job Purpose:
To support our projects, we are seeking a Systems Design Engineer
to join our team in Burnaby, British Columbia. The System Design Specialist will perform activities to design and specify a high quality train control system that satisfies the overall system requirements. The individual will assist other design engineers in performing the design work correctly, within cost and schedule limits.Key Job Functions:
Key Skill Requirements:
- Perform technical/engineering tasks to define system and subsystem design for the software subsystems
- Analyse and evaluate customer requirements (internal and/or external), and convert the requirements into conceptual designs
- Assist in preparation of system & subsystem requirements specifications and interface requirements to fulfil the customer requirements
- Interface and build working relationships with hardware, software and test groups to ensure timely analysis and resolution of in-house and field test issue.
- Accurately report work progress and estimate to complete against work assigned.
- Promote a safety culture where product safety is paramount
- Ensure that safety is built into the design by early identification and resolution of safety related defects
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering or equivalent
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, and able to self-direct
- Excellent team, interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc.)
- Experience with generic railway signaling techniques, Automatic Train Control system specifications, and military and industry based standards and regulatory norms is an asset.
- Experience with specification-driven hardware and software systems design and associated tools is desired.
- Experience with requirements management tool, such as Rational DOORS or equivalent, is an asset.
- Experience with software, modern software development methodology methods, processes, and tools is desired.
Thales is required to follow mandatory customer policies as well as Federal and Provincial legislation, now and in the future. This includes, but is not limited to, vaccination mandates and travel requirements. This role requires you to work on a customer site and/or travel. Therefore you must follow all mandatory customer policies and Federal and Provincial legislation as a condition of employment
Thales is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. Thales is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the interview process. Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for an interview. We will work with you to meet your needs. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of providing an accessible candidate experience.
Creative and Graphic Design