The Ballard Systems Engineering Group in Burnaby, British Columbia is searching for a System Design Manager.
This functional manager will play a key role in profitably delivering innovative clean energy solutions to our customers by initiating and nurturing a productive high tech engineering team, providing best engineering practice guidance, and supporting the development and deployment of fuel cell systems. Responsibilities:
• Develop and maintain the functional standards for the Systems Design Department and ensure they are applied consistently for all programs to meet technical and schedule deliverables.
• Lead the career development effort for members of the Systems Design Group, including career planning, performance reviews, goals/objectives setting/review, and peer review management.
• Cooperate cross-functionally with Ballard leadership to provide consistency and fairness in resource management, calibration, and resource allocation.
• Develop and apply a clear and consistent technical voice of the department for interface with other functional groups including Stack Engineering
• Insure Systems Design team members execute programs with an effective and consistent approach
• Actively lead recruitment efforts for the department, cooperating with internal (P&C) and external (contract houses) sources.
• Ensure training, skill, and knowledge requirements are kept to a high standard and expected level of quality.
• Develop budgets as required for the functional group.
• Actively participate in program design reviews, advanced development direction initiatives, business development support, and innovation initiatives.
• Support Ballard's activities related to generation, maintenance, and improvement of relationships with external entities such as existing and potential customers, audit teams, investors or shareholders, development and research partners, joint ventures, etc. Requirements:
• Electrical, Mechanical, or Applied Sciences Degree coupled with 10 years related progressively responsible experience with a minimum of 5 years directly related experience demonstrating effective leadership, team engagement and engineering management competencies.
• Previous real-world experience designing, developing, and analyzing complex power systems including mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic sub-systems and their characteristics, applications, and limitations or other equivalent experience.
• Applied experience with Systems Engineering principles and practices
• Experience with system modelling and simulation
• Commitment to safety above all else. Attributes:
• A good understanding of team dynamics and an ability to recruit new team members.
• Strong focus on technical and career development, coaching and feedback skills.
• Knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code, National Electrical Code, and/or relevant/similar international codes and standards.
• Experience mentoring junior engineers in the field.
• Demonstrated capability for critical thinking.
• Excellent time management, leadership, mentoring, and organizational skills.
• Strong oral and written communication skills and good listening skills.
• Logical reasoning skills and ability to appreciate the views of others, enabling work across the organization.
• Good understanding of product development processes.
• Ability to coach team on engineering tools like DFMEA, DVP&R and structured problem-solving techniques, etc.
• Ability to develop a long-term vision for the team to identify skills needed and new approaches.
• Background in fuel cell system technology a big plus.
• Experience estimating resource loadings for new projects. Experience in program management also very helpful.
Listen & Deliver | Quality. Always. | Inspire Excellence | Row Together | Own It
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.