North Vancouver, BC
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of PHSA safety, including both patient and employee safety, is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA's Agencies/Divisions/Services, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. Under the supervision of the Manager, Switchboard Services or designate, the Switchboard Operator functions as the first point of contact to the public while operating a multi-line computerized hospital switchboard console, public address, and paging systems; accepts and directs calls from a variety of customers according to established policies, standards and procedures for multiple healthcare facilities of the Provincial Health Services Authority, Vancouver Coastal Health, and Providence Health Care, while playing a significant role in ensuring that callers have a positive experience. The Switchboard Operator responds to various hospital alarms (including patient related code alarms) and carries out established emergency procedures. Performs routine updates to the switchboard directory and on call scheduling databases in accordance with established department guidelines utilizing database, word-processing, and spreadsheet software.What you'll do
- Operates a multi-line computerized switchboard console by:
o Answering all calls, acknowledging the caller, listening attentively, and asking questions to clarify the caller's inquiry;
o Transferring phone calls to appropriate locals, providing information, and responding to the caller's needs in a prompt and courteous manner;
o Responds to each hospital alarm (emergency and non-emergency) in a timely manner as per established guidelines. (ie: fire, arrest, medical stat call, bomb threat, elevator.)
What you bring
- Operates Public Address system as per established guidelines.
- Operates paging system to page Doctors, Nurses and other on-call staff as required per established guidelines.
- Provides TTD service for hearing impaired customers by utilizing a Telecommunications device.
- Updates related switchboard databases and documents such as switchboard directory, and paging and on-call schedules by entering provided information as per established guidelines.
- Requests repairs on consoles, paging and related equipment according to established guidelines by methods such as contacting the Service Desk and/or their Team Lead.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement activities by performing duties such as attending meetings and providing input/feedback to the Manager, Switchboard Services, or designate, on opportunities for process improvement.
- Identifies and reports to the Manager, Switchboard Services, or designate, unusual trends or system conditions which require investigation such as an increase of unusual phone calls or error messages on the monitors.
- Reviews and updates the department communication log book according to established procedures by methods such as reading the log book at the start of a shift and entering the required information for an incident such as an abusive phone call.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 and one (1) year's recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills & Knowledge
What we bring
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
- Ability to keyboard at 40 wpm.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate required equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time Temporary Duration:
Until Return of Incumbent
$24.84 / Hour
231 15th St E, North Vancouver, BC V7L 2L7
Applications Accepted until Position is Filled
Hours of Work:
0900-1700 (Monday to Friday)
142334EAs per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments' unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of March 17, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday - Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.