Closing Date: June 5, 2023
Reporting to the Manager, Operations & Maintenance Execution, the Superintendent, Mine Operations will be providing leadership for the safe execution of the mine plan. This role is accountable for the drilling, blasting, loading and hauling of ore and waste.
To be successful, we are looking for a proven leader with excellent communication, interpersonal, influencing, and negotiating skills who can build and maintain lasting relationships across varying departments of the organization, and other communities of interest. We need a creative problem-solver with strong analytical capabilities. Demonstrated leadership and managerial skills including the ability to empower, coach, and mentor others are vital.
Join us in the Highland Valley and enjoy a variety of recreational opportunities such as hiking, mountain biking, skiing, fishing, and golf! The mine site is a 50-minute drive from Kamloops, B.C which provides all of the comforts of city living. The mine site is also close to Merritt, Ashcroft, and Logan Lake, which all exude a small-town community atmosphere. Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Develop and maintain a safe working environment through compliance with Teck's Health & Safety program and Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in British Columbia
- Lead, coach, and develop General Supervisors, Senior Mine Supervisors and Mine Supervisors to achieve high level of execution within their roles and responsibilities
- Organization of work, personnel, and equipment to achieve mine plan operations and the provision of adequate pit dewatering and mine services to allow achievement of the mine plan on an annual basis.
- Ensuring the cost effectiveness of operations, blasting and mine services activities by the optimum selection and allocation of personnel, equipment and consumables, identification and implementation of cost saving opportunities, and application of technology to improve all operations' activities.
- Participation in the development of departmental budgets and plans, monitoring and control of compliance, and accountability for plan variances.
- Ensure that long term development is undertaken to optimize the efficiency of the operation and to incorporate appropriate new technology and methods. Assist in weekly and monthly production targets, assessing these targets as to the practicability of application.
- Liaise with other crew supervision, engineers, maintenance and human resources personnel in coordinating mining activities in an efficient manner
- Administer the collective agreement, safety, mine, and environmental regulations in a manner consistent with company policies and procedures
- Develop a high-performance culture through strong leadership including appropriate communication, delegation, coaching, and managing performance.
- Develop harmonious working relationships within the department and with other departments in the operation
- Minimum 10-15 years of open pit mining, project management, and field experience
- Strong leadership skills with a proved track record of leading technical and operations teams that deliver results
- Operational experience with mining autonomy is considered an asset
- Project Management Professional designation and P. Eng considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in ERP Systems, Microsoft Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Bachelor's Degree in Mining, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering is considered an asset
Successful candidates must be willing to satisfy the pre-employment requirements of a pre-employment drug screen and three professional references.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.Job Segment:
Coal Mining, Operations Manager, Electrical Engineering, Project Manager, Mining, Operations, Engineering, Technology
Construction, Mining and Trades