Closing Date: October 3, 2022
Reporting to the Manager, Environmental Operations, the Senior Specialist, Risk and Incident Response is responsible for improving environmental performance at multiple sites across the business unit (BU). This position works closely with our Operations, Environment and Social Responsibility (ESR) departments, and Environmental performance and corporate Health, Safety, Environment and Community (HSEC) teams.
To be successful, we require someone with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, who can direct and advise with diplomacy and discretion. As you would be responding to an ever-changing environmental landscape, you must possess strong critical thinking skills and enjoy finding solutions while adapting to fast-moving, dynamic environments. The ability to lead and mentor a team of technical professionals is vital for success.
In this role, you will have the chance to inspire environmental management change and advance sustainable mining. This is the perfect role for someone who is passionate about discovering innovative ways to improve environmental performance.
Join us in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Working a compressed work week with alternating Fridays off, come experience what work life balance is all about! Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Ensure appropriate processes are in place to support and align operations in environmental management across BU
- Support the implementation of the sustainability framework strategy for the BU
- Implement regional environmental programs under air, water, waste, and Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
- Lead the development and implementation of Environmental risk and assurance improvement strategies
- Oversee changes to environmental social governance programs and strategies as a Change Agent
- Develop and implement a comprehensive audit program founded around control effectiveness
- Develop working relationships with Indigenous groups and communities of interest
- Lead and mentor a team of technical professionals by applying comprehensive knowledge environmental governance, compliance programs, auditing, EMS and regulations
- Support Operations in developing environmental team roles and responsibilities; oversee resource justifications to support changing needs
- Provide operational leadership for emergency response to environmental incidents
- Manage environmental investigations and prepare recommendations
- Prepare internal and external presentations, technical memos, and recommendations to a variety of audiences
About Teck Successful candidates must be willing to satisfy the pre-employment requirements of a pre-employment drug screen and three professional references.
- Degree or Diploma in an environment subject, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum ten years' experience in environmental compliance, resource, and project management in mining or natural resource environment
- Experience in environmental compliance, risk management or emergency response
- Experience managing environmental incident investigations, response, and corrective actions
- Supervisory or leadership experience
- Expertise in provincial and federal regulatory approvals practices, legislation, and regulations
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.Job Segment:
Sustainability, Coal Mining, Compliance, Risk Management, Energy, Legal, Mining, Finance