Position Title Student Research Assistant, VEST Posting Number 01371SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $16.59/hour Position Type Student Research Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 01/04/2022 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift See Work Arrangements Work Arrangements
The position is located at the New Westminster Campus. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Winter 2022: January 4, 2022 - April 27, 2022
2. Summer 2022: May 9, 2022 - August 20, 2022
This position will be located in the Vocational Education and Skills Training Department, Faculty of Applied Community Studies.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The student research assistant will be responsible for engaging with new industries aligned with the BOE curriculum (Retail and Business, Electronic and General Assembly, and Food Services options). The student research assistant will be providing support in the development of new marketing materials for VEST programs. The student research assistant will promote inclusion across Douglas College departments and faculties and support inclusion campaigns on campus.Responsibilities
Under the direction, guidance, and support of the VEST faculty:
- Educate and inform best practices for hiring and inclusive work environments
- Learn about the specific needs of practicum stakeholders (faculty, students, and community agencies)
- Participate in creating marketing materials
- Assist in setting up and delivering inclusive campaigns
- Demonstrate leadership for VEST on and off site initiatives
- Attend relevant planning meetings
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
Students who meet most/all of the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Willing to work in a team environment, communicating their experiences and creating informational resources for future employers and students.
- The ability:
o to learn and take the perspective of multiple stakeholders (faculty, students, and community agencies),
o work collaboratively with project lead, with the ability to take direction, while working independently, AND conduct and communicate oneself professionally (with access to confidential information).
- Preference will be given to VEST students.Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work termInternational students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 01/27/2022 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Winter 2022
2. Summer 2022
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/8648