Position Title Student Research Assistant, Research and Innovation Office (RIO) & Library Posting Number 00763SA Location See Work Arrangements Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range 13.85/hour Position Type Student Research Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 01/13/2020 End Date 08/16/2020 Day of the Week Other Shift See work arrangements. Work Arrangements
Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Winter 2020: January 2, 2020 - April 22, 2020
2. Summer 2020: May 4, 2020 - August 16, 2020
This position will be located in the RIO Office in NW Library.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
RIO Student Research Assistants will support RIO and the Library in building faculty scholarly profiles in the Douglas College Institutional Repository. Student Research Assistants will work closely with the RIO Coordinator and the Scholarly Communications Librarian to help collect, describe, make accessible, and promote faculty and student research publications and scholarly works from across the College in all the academic faculties.Responsibilities
Under the supervision and direction of RIO and Library faculty and staff:
Assist with collecting faculty research interests, publications, and photos for use in building faculty scholarly profiles
Follow established guidelines to create faculty scholarly profiles
Liaise with Scholarly Communications Librarian, NW Library Supervisor-Technical Services, and Library Technicians to create faculty scholar profiles
Assist with the promotion of the Institutional Repository to faculty and students
Perform other duties as assigned
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
Strong organizational skills and an attention to detail and accuracy
The ability to work within and follow established guidelines
Experience in administrative work
Ability to communicate and work effectively in a team-based environment
Ability to develop and maintain professional, positive relationships with Douglas College staff, faculty, and students
Ability to manage time effectively and maintain a regular schedule
A positive, outgoing attitude
Ability to manage challenges with maturity and thoughtfulness
To be responsible, professional and flexible
Familiarity with databases and web based software, Windows, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power point
Experience with event planning and delivery is an asset
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in British Columbia throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 01/13/2020 Close Date 08/16/2020 Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/5553