Position Title Student Research Assistant, Research Ambassador (Science and Technology) Posting Number 00925SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $15.79/hour Position Type Student Research Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/08/2020 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift N/A Work Arrangements
The position is located at the Coquitlam/New Westminster campus but this position may require you to temporarily work remotely to comply with the current COVID -19 social distancing guidelines. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2020: September 8, 2020 - December 16, 2020
2. Winter 2021: January 4, 2021 - April 22, 2021
3. Summer 2021: May 10, 2021 - August 19, 2021
This position will be located in the Faculty of Science and Technology. When on campus, most of the work will take place at the New Westminster campus.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Research Ambassador Student Research Assistant will be responsible for promoting, mentoring and supporting undergraduate research in the Faculty of Science and Technology.Responsibilities
• Participate in regular collaborative planning meetings.
• Communicate with students currently involved in research and provide support when needed.
• Organize events aimed at promoting undergraduate research.
• Advertise research opportunities within the faculty and assist in the recruitment of research assistants when needed.
• Work in collaboration with DOOR (Douglas Open Repository) and the RIO (Research Innovation Office) to maintain a database of ongoing projects and partnerships.
• Participate in department and faculty-wide meetings as the student representative of undergraduate research in Science and Technology.
• Perform other duties as needed.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• Experience in undergraduate research
• Familiarity with College resources
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
• Public speaking experience
• Strong problem-solving and time management ability
• Detail oriented and a strong sense of responsibility
• The ability to organize large amounts of data
• Experience with Excel software
• Able to work collaboratively with clinicians, researchers, students and faculty members.
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 08/31/2020 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2020
2. Winter 2021
3. Summer 2021
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/6387