Position Title Student Research Assistant, Research Ambassador (LLPA & HSS) Posting Number 01733SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $16.59/hour Position Type Student Research Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 01/04/2023 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift See Work Arrangements Work Arrangements
The position is located at the New Westminster campus. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Winter 2023: January 4, 2023 - April 25, 2023
2. Summer 2023: May 8, 2023 - August 19, 2023
This position will be located in the Faculties of Language, Literature, and Performing Arts ( LLPA ) and Humanities and Social Sciences ( HSS ).
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Student Research Assistant, Research Ambassador ( LLPA & HSS ) is responsible for promoting and supporting research in the Faculties of Language, Literature, and Performing Arts ( LLPA ) and Humanities and Social Sciences ( HSS ). The Student Research Assistant, Research Ambassador ( LLPA & HSS ) will achieve position outcomes through collaboration with researchers, students, and faculty members within the faculties of LLPA and HSS .Responsibilities
• Participate in monthly research committee meetings
• Communicate with students currently involved in or interested in research and provide support as needed
• Organize events for faculty and students aimed at promoting research
• Assist with advertising research opportunities within the departments and assist in the recruitment of research assistants when needed
• Assist with promoting student attendance at theatre and music performances
• Assist with recruiting participants for Student Research Day
• Assist with the creation of online research resources and videos
• Perform other duties as assigned
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• Interest in research
• Familiarity with college scholarly resources
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
• Strong problem-solving
• Able to organize multiple tasks and projects effectively
• A strong ethic of accountability
• Able to organize large amounts of data
• Demonstrated ability to work collaborativelyDomestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work termInternational students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 12/13/2022 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Winter 2023
2. Summer 2023
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/10242