Position Title Student Research Assistant, Gender+ Equity in Youth Soccer Posting Number 01607SA Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $16.59/hour Position Type Student Research Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/06/2022 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift N/A Work Arrangements
The position is located at the Coquitlam/New Westminster Campus. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2022: September 6, 2022 - December 17, 2022
2. Winter 2023: January 4, 2023 - April 25, 2023
3. Summer 2023: May 8, 2023 - August 19, 2023
This position will be located in the Sport Science Department.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Student Research Assistant for Environmental Scan and Survey of BC's Soccer Community.Responsibilities
•Conduct an Environmental Scan of all existing youth soccer programs in the Province of BC to identify (a) where all-gender and trans-inclusive programming is being offered and (b) any all-genders and trans-inclusive policies that exist. This work entails:
•Identifying pertinent sources of information. •Making phone calls and scouring webpages. •Documenting, classifying, and categorizing data according to emerging and theoretical codes/themes. •Presenting data in a (visual) organized fashion that is easy to provide to community stakeholders. •Communicating with the Research Team throughout data collection and analysis. •Assist in the recruitment of, and communication with, soccer Clubs/Organizations for participation in the survey on attitudes, perspectives, and challenges of providing and participating in all-genders and trans-inclusive soccer. •Assist in the creation of the Survey Instrument.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• Coursework in Sociology/Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies/Sport Science or related fields.
• An understanding of/familiarity with the delivery system for youth soccer in British Columbia.
• Lived experience or professional/work/volunteer experience in the LGBTQ2S+ community.
• Lived experience of, or professional/work/volunteer experience with, Indigenous peoples of BC (or elsewhere in Canada)
• Completion of (or currently enrolled in) a Research Methods Course from any Department, with a grade of B+ or higher.
• Confidence and professionalism to interact with community members via email or phone to access information.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to organized large amounts of data using Excel or preferred system. Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work termInternational students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 08/19/2022 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2022
2. Winter 2023
3. Summer 2023
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/9680