Position Title Student Research Assistant - Commerce & Business Administration Posting Number 00974SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $15.79/hour Position Type Student Research Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/08/2020 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift N/A Work Arrangements
The position is located at the New Westminster campus but this position may require you to temporarily work remotely to comply with the current Covid-19 social distancing guidelines.
Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2020: September 8, 2020 - December 16, 2020
2. Winter 2021: January 4, 2021 - April 22, 2021
3. Summer 2021: May 10, 2021 - August 19, 2021
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Student Research Assistant (Commerce and Business Administration) will work on research projects underway in the Department of Business related to adaptations to teaching and learning in business resulting from COVID -19 and subsequent changes in instructional delivery. Research tasks that will be performed by the Student Research Assistant (Commerce & Business Administration) include a combination of the following: compiling and reviewing literature, summarizing literature in tables, distributing questionnaires, inputting and analyzing survey data, conducting interviews, coding qualitative data, attending meetings with the research team, and providing regular support to peer researchers and leaders. The specific duties performed by the Student Research Assistant will be determined by the current phase of the research project and the priority of research tasks.Responsibilities
• Review literature in areas of online business instruction, communication strategies in online delivery between student and instructor, best practices in online instruction, adaptations of online instruction due to COVID -19
• Screen literature and extract relevant data into data tables, summarizing results of findings for a book chapter and research papers
• Consider dissemination strategy for questionnaires, and distribute questionnaires to college faculty and students to gather data related to online learning experience during COVID -19
• Input and analyze questionnaire data, conduct basic statistical tests, present data in tables and graphs, summarize findings for readers
• Recruit participants for focus group study, conduct interviews/focus groups, transcribe interviews and focus groups and summarize qualitative data
• Actively engage in research activities such as attending team meetings
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
To be successful in this role you will have taken a course related to research methods and introductory statistics. You will be familiar with using the library databases and conducting literature reviews. Some flexibility in needed for scheduling meetings and research activities.
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 11/10/2020 Close Date Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2020
2. Winter 2021
3. Summer 2021
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/6683