Position Title Student Assistant, Douglas International Student Leader Posting Number 01214SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $16.43/hour Position Type Student Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/07/2021 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift See Work Arrangements Work Arrangements
The position is located at the New Westminster Campus. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2021: September 7, 2021 - December 18, 2021
2. Winter 2022: January 4, 2022 - April 27, 2022
3. Summer 2022: May 9, 2022 - August 20, 2022
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
To assist prospective and new international students transition to life within Canada, BC, and the Douglas College community. Student Leaders working with the ambassador program will supportprospective students. Student Leaders working as mentors will support new international students by socially connecting with them, providing information and resources about Douglas College and the surrounding community, and promoting participation in college-wide initiatives.Responsibilities
•Review training materials provided prior to the start of becoming a DCI Student Leader •Attend onboarding session •Attend regular team meetings •Help students develop social connections with other Douglas students •Schedule and facilitate meetings, workshops, and/or social opportunities •Assist with creation of promotional materials for the program •Provide a report at the midpoint of the semester and at the conclusion of the program •Assist with creation of content for various social media channels •Assist with various administrative duties •Other duties as required
Program specific responsibilities
•(Mentorship Program): Initiating and maintaining contact with new students •Supporting College services and community knowledge acquisition by:
- Answering new student questions about essential campus services
- Conducting workshops and learning sessions about campus services
- Supporting a peer-to-peer network between new students for sharing •(Ambassador Program): Field questions from prospective students via various social media platforms
- Support Recruitment & Admission Coordinator in preparing and delivery of online and in-person recruitment events such as information sessions, campus tour, webinar, student fairs, and high school visits
- Assist prospective students with navigating Douglas website and provide students with admission-related information such as program, application process, admission requirements, scholarship, etc. via a variety of social media channels and in-person
- Work with databases, compiling reports and other project work as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
•To maintain a GPA of 2.3 or above •To maintain positive conversations/interactions with prospective and new students through sharing your experiences, stories about your journey in Canada/ Douglas College etc. •Strong leadership skills •A positive, outgoing attitude •Keen interest in working in an international setting •Keen interest in facilitating intercultural learning and discovery. •Experience with social norms and values of more than one culture is an asset. •To be able to handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality. •Ability to set and maintain boundaries. •To be a self-starter with the ability to work independently with limited supervision. •Experience in administrative work. •Ability to work effectively in a team-based environment. •Experience with video conferencing services (Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Skype) is an asset •Experience using graphic design programs such as Canva. •Experience using pages, groups, messaging, and events on social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. •To be comfortable being on social media channels promoting initiatives Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work termInternational students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 08/09/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2021
2. Winter 2022
3. Summer 2022
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/8029