Position Title Student Assistant, Douglas College Royals Event Day Posting Number 01281SA Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level I Salary Range $15.65/hour Position Type Student Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/07/2021 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift See Work Arrangements Work Arrangements
The position is located at the New Westminster/Coquitlam campuses. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2021: September 7, 2021 - December 18, 2021
2. Winter 2022: January 4, 2022 - April 27, 2022
3. Summer 2022: May 9, 2022 - August 20, 2022
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Student Assistant, Douglas College Royals Event Day will assist in the strategic delivery of departmental events and activities, i.e Athletics Game Day events, Athletics & Recreation department events. Event Day Student Assistants are an essential component to delivery of high service oriented and best-in-class experience for the students, employees and community of our events. The responsibilities of the role vary depending on the assignment of duties for the event.ResponsibilitiesConcession Attendant -
As the Concession Attendant, you will sell, track, and maintain an inventory of goods, assist with promotions, and set-up displays. You will complete inventory sheets and summary sheets of sales. Cash handling experience is an asset.Gate Attendant/ Ticket Sales
- As the Gate Attendant, you are the "face of Athletics" - because the public deals with you first, you have a very important job. You sell tickets and set-up displays, handle all promotions/draw boxes, and fill out summary sheets for attendance and any other duties as required. Cash handling experience is an asset.Mascot -
The mascot of Douglas College is "Roary". Position requires the individual to pump up the crowd and provide a fun atmosphere for all fans and participants. Having fun is rule #1. Mascot and/or dance experience an asset.Scorekeeper
- The scorekeeper completes the game scoresheet in accordance to PACWEST / CCAA sport specific rules. Knowledge of FIFA , FIBA and FIVB rules is an asset. It includes entering team line-ups/rosters, running tally of the game scores, player points, tracking personal fouls (if applicable), timeouts, etc.Score Clock Operator
- The Score Clock Operator is responsible for the operation of the digital/electronic scoreboard. An in-depth knowledge of basketball and volleyball is an asset.Set-up and Take Down -
This position assists in the pre-event set-up and post-event take down of all staging, flags, tents, tables, chairs, and technical equipment used in the production of our events.Stats Keeper
-The Stats Keeper tracks all required statistical information and date with the use of a stats software, I.e. PrestoStats. A strong understanding of the rules of basketball/volleyball and an attention to detail and accuracy is essential. High proficiency in data entry is desired as this individual has to quickly transfer game related statistics into the stats software module.Stats Spotter
- As the Stats spotter, your role is to support the Stats keeper by communicating all play-by-play details and providing statistical information such as rebounds, assists, fouls, steals, etc.Three Ball Crew (Volleyball Only)
- Individuals of the Three Ball Crew are responsible for facilitating and carry-out the "3 ball system" for the spot of volleyball. Individuals will be responsible for collecting balls not in play, providing the serving team with a ball when requested, clean the volleyball court of debris, wet spots, and objections to ensure the safety of the players and officials.Webstream
- As the webstreamer, your role is to ensure that the game is live streamed to the appropriate channels and recorded to a local hard drive for league record. A strong understanding of streaming platforms (Wirecast, OBS ) and sports broadcasting is essential to be successful in this role.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
•Ability to work within a team •Provide exceptional customer service with strong inter-personal and communication skills •Knowledge of soccer, basketball and volleyball game rules. i.e. FIFA , FIBA , FIVA •Ability to work with minimal supervision •Active participant in problem solving •Capable of multi-tasking and managing multiple priorities •Ability to stand and sit for extended periods of time •Ability to lift and move equipment as required, 30 lbs •High degree of attention to detail •Work within a fast-paced environment •Great with time management skills •Cash handling, Point of Sale ( POS ) and basic financial reporting, i.e. cash out sheet, experience is an asset •Experience with digital scoreboard, i.e. Daktronics, Nevco, etc. Other relatable knowledge, skills and abilities
•Passion for sports, recreation, professional development and personal growth •Highly motivated and self-initiative •Ability to work evenings, weekends and some holidays, •Attend training session and operational orientations •Commit to the entire season, September 1st - March 31st •Ability to punctual and reliable for scheduled shifts Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work termInternational students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 10/04/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Fall 2021
2. Winter 2022
3. Summer 2022
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/8266