Position Title Student Assistant, CSIS Computer Lab Posting Number 00852SA Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level SA - Pay Level II Salary Range $15.79/hour Position Type Student Assistant Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Part-Time Posting Category Student Assistants Start Date 09/08/2020 End Date Day of the Week Other Shift N/A Work Arrangements
Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Winter 2021: January 4 to April 12, 2021
2. Summer 2021: May 10 to August 9, 2021
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Computer Lab Student Assistant assists students with learning software in their courses by providing online and/or in-person (face-to-face) peer tutoring. This software includes:
• Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Power Point;
• Visual Studio (C#);
• Eclipse/IntelliJ IDEA (Java Programming);
• File management in Windows; and
• Internet browsers, including but not limited to Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox.Responsibilities
Assists instructors and students online and/or in the CSIS labs.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
Must have effective English verbal communication skills and a basic working knowledge of:
• Visual Studio (C#);
• HTML (for working in CSIS1280 lab);
• CSS (for working in CSIS1280 lab);
• Windows OS;
• Internet browsers, including but not limited to Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox;
• Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Power Point.
Preferences will be given to students with Java programming knowledge (CSIS1275 or CSIS2175 with a B+ or higher grade), and remote/online working experience.
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation - "May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria." Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 06/16/2020 Close Date Open Until Filled Special Instructions to Applicant
Please include the following:
- Douglas College Student ID number or indicate if you are enrolled in another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C.
- Domestic or International student status
- Being eligible to work please indicate the work terms you are applying for:
1. Winter 2021
2. Summer 2021
- If selected for an interview please bring one of the following:
1. Proof of enrollment for work term from Douglas College OR
2. Proof of enrollment for work term from another post-secondary institution OR
3. Domestic students only: proof of registration for the term immediately preceding the work term and indication of intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/6115