STO-RE 21R - Prevention Specialist Position Classification
Scientific/Tech Off R21 - Res Union
Prince George, BC V3L4J8 CA (Primary)Salary Range
$59,802.68 - $68,060.72 annually Close Date
8/16/2020 Job Type
Temporary (Auxiliary) Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> FLNRO and Rural Development Ministry Branch / Division
BC Wildfire Service Job Summary Prevention Specialist Scientific Technical Officer Resource R21
An eligibility list may be established for future temporary, auxiliary and/or permanent vacancies.
There is current one (1) vacancy available until May 22, 2021.
This position is based in Prince George, but Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Fort St. John, Mackenzie, Valemount and Vanderhoof may be considered. A great opportunity to take the next step in your career
The BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) is a unique area of government tasked with the responsibility of preventing, managing and suppressing unwanted wildfire on the landscape. Approximately 1600 field workers - comprising technical experts, strategic thinkers and fire operations staff - are dedicated to undertaking the BCWS mandate in delivering effective wildfire management and emergency response support to protect life and values at risk, encouraging sustainable, healthy and resilient ecosystems.
This position is responsible for the delivery of education, enforcement and engineering related to the prevention program in the Fire Centre.
Prince George is the largest city in Northern British Columbia, and boasts a wide variety of restaurants and entertainment, including the Prince George Symphony Orchestra. Prince George is also located next to several provincial parks, which provide camping and boating amenities.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer .
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Doug.J.Smith@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS
. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.NOTE
: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
PROVISOS & WILLINGNESS STATEMENTS
- Degree in a field related to forestry, resource management or equivalent knowledge, plus one (1) year related experience; OR,
- Technical diploma in a field related to forestry, resource management, or equivalent knowledge, plus three (3) years related experience; OR,
- Grade 12 plus five (5) years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and training; AND,
- Related experience is defined as operations or other disciplines related to natural resource management.
- Preference may be given to candidates with Incident Commander 4 or higher.
- Preference may be given to candidates who are registered or eligible to register with the Association of BC Forest Professionals.
- Valid class 5 driver licence.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
- To be flexible regarding ongoing changes in responsibilities, assignments and corporate structures.
- To keep current on emerging issues.
- To take in-house training and certification as required.
- To fly in aircraft (fixed wing and rotary) as required.
- To work extended hours, including weekends, and be on standby with limited notice in accordance with the preparedness plan.
- To travel and overnight in remote locations where accommodations may vary as required.
- To be assigned or participate to Incident Command System positions and Incident Management Teams as required.
- To work under adverse or stressful conditions, including smoke, extreme heat and mountainous terrain in remote and isolated conditions.
- Successful completion of security screening requirements of the BC Public Service, which may include a criminal records check, and/or Criminal Records Review Act (CRRA) check, and/or enhanced security screening checks as required by the ministry (Note: It is important that you read the job posting carefully to understand the specific security screening requirements pertaining to the position).
CRC - A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Cover letter: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Resume
: YES - A resume is required as part of your application; however, itmay notbe used for initial shortlisting purposes. Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES
- As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire. IMPORTANT:
Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments. Job Category
Natural Resource Sector, Scientific and Technical