STO-RE 21R - Operations Technologist
Scientific/Tech Off R21 - Res
Terrace, BC V8G 1W2 CA (Primary)
$63,446.31 - $72,142.65 annually
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Forests
Ministry Branch / Division
Job Summary Operations Technologist
Scientific/Technical Officer (Resource) 21
Amendment (November 21, 2022): The salary has been amended to reflect the 19th BCGEU Main Agreement.
An eligibility list may be established for similar vacancies within the BC Timber Sales Skeena Business Area, Terrace.
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.An excellent opportunity to apply your natural resource expertise!
BC Timber Sales (BCTS)manages about 20 per cent of the province's allowable annual cut forCrown timber,generating economic prosperity for British Columbians through the safe, sustainable development and auction of Crown timber. BCTS operates in 33 communities and directly supports over 8,000 jobs across BC.
Data from our operations are used to help determine the market value of the timber harvested from public land and ensures British Columbiansreceive fairvalue from their timber resources.
BCTS also supports government's commitment to true, lasting reconciliation with First Nations in BCas we move toward fully adopting and implementing the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
The goal of BCTS is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the market pricing system through auctions of timber harvested from public land in BC. BCTS has three objectives supporting its goal:
- Objective 1:Sell the full BCTS apportionment over the business cycle, consistent with safe practices, sustainable forest management, and reconciliation with Indigenous peoples.
- Objective 2:Generate direct net revenue and indirect revenue for the Province over the business cycle.
- Objective 3:Continuous business improvement - within BCTS, across government and with third parties.
To find out more about our program check out the BCTS website .
The Operations Technologist is responsible for developing operating standards, implementing new forest management practices, contract management, coordinating technical activities, monitoring adherence to legislative and environmental standards and providing technical expertise to staff in one or more of the following areas: tenure development, road and block layout, silviculture, timber tenure administration and forestry contract administration.
Known most famously for their Kermode (Spirit) Bear, Terrace is perfect for hiking, mountain biking, camping, rock climbing, canoeing, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling and snowshoeing. The accumulation of snow in the local mountains makes for a great winter playground for avid skiers at our sought-after Shames Mountain ski hill.
In addition to this exciting opportunity and amazing location, the BC Public Service is an award-winningemployer in British Columbia, including such accolades as being one of BC's Top Employers for 2021, one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2021 and one of Canada's Top Family-Friendly Employers in 2021.
This is your opportunity to build your career and to gain a better understanding of all the public service has to offer, such as competitive employee benefits , amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with an award winning employer. The BC Public Service encourages a healthy work/life balance that enables you to take advantage of the community and surrounding area in which you live. For more information, please visit What The BC Public Service Offers You.
A career path in BC Timber Sales offers exceptional opportunities to develop new solutions to complex problems, and to learn and grow personally and professionally. Existing and future BCTS employees have the opportunity to impact public and private forests, communities, the economy and the lives of British Columbians in positive and unique ways.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)
Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-9laHaKyc&feature=youtu.be
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, requirements and qualifications, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Dominic.Ignas@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm PacificTime on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirements as outlined below:
- Graduation from an approved technical institute with a diploma or degree in resource or forestry management and three (3) years of experience in one or more operational field forestry activities.
- An equivalent combination of education or experience such as five (5) years of experience in one (1) or more area of operational field forestry.
- Operational field forestry activities include one (1) or more of the following:
- Timber harvesting monitoring/conformance
- Cut-block development
- Forest road engineering
- Timber tenure development and administration
- Applicants must be registered or eligible for registration with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals (ABCFP) as a Registered Forest Technologist or equivalent.
- Must possess at minimum a valid Class 5 BC Driver's Licence that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job.
- Must be willing and able to withstand the rigors of fieldwork.
- Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be willing and able to travel to meet job requirements.
- Must be willing and able to travel in fixed and or rotary winged aircraft and or watercraft.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Professional Designation: YES - Please include your registration number in your application.
- Preference may be given to applicants with three (3) years of specific operational field-based forestry experience in silviculture.
- Preference may be given to applicants with three (3) years of specific forestry experience in one (1) or more operational field-based forestry activities such as tenure development, road and block layout, or timber tenure administration.
- Experience in contract or financial administration.
You must be registered (or immediately eligible for registration) as a Forest Technologist (RFT) with the Association of BC Forest Professionals. Note:
immediately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable jurisdiction. Applicants must confirm their eligibility with the ABCFP . Confirmation of registration/eligibility will be required before an offer of employment can be made.Cover letter required:NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Please select "SKIP" on the cover letter screen to continue with your application.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE) YES
- As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT:
Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Natural Resource Sector, Scientific and Technical