STO-RE 18R - Wildfire Assistant
Scientific/Tech Off R18 - Res
Salmon Arm, BC V1E 4S4 CA (Primary)
$58,319.24 - $66,096.20 annually
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Forests
Ministry Branch / Division
BC Wildfire Services
Job Summary Wildfire Assistant
Scientific Technical Officer 18
Make a difference in this rewarding career opportunity
The BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) is a unique program of government tasked with the responsibility of preventing and managing wildfire on the landscape. With a workforce of approximately 1600 the program's staff are dedicated to undertaking the BCWS mandate in delivering effective wildfire management and emergency response support to protect values, while encouraging sustainable, healthy and resilient ecosystems.
This position is responsible for performing a core set of functions related to fire response and fire management. Job Requirements:
- Technical diploma in a field related to forestry or resource management, or equivalent knowledge, plus 1 year of related experience; OR,
- Grade 12 plus 3 years of related experience; OR,
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Related experience is defined as operations or other disciplines related to natural resource management.
- Preference may be given to candidates with supervisory experience.
- Preference may be given to candidates with Incident Commander 4 or higher.
- To be flexible regarding ongoing changes in responsibilities, assignments and corporate structures.
- To keep current on emerging issues.
- To take in-house training and certification as required.
- To fly in aircraft (fixed wing and rotary) as required.
- To work extended hours, including weekends, and be on standby with limited notice in accordance with the preparedness plan.
- To travel and overnight in remote locations where accommodations may vary as required.
- To participate in Incident Command System positions as assigned.
- To work under adverse or stressful conditions, including smoke, extreme heat and mountainous terrain in remote and isolated conditions.
- To obtain and maintain certification and training for position to meet operational requirements
- Valid class 5 driver licence.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Rhonda.Stearns@gov.bc.ca About this Position:
There is currently one (1) full-time seasonal position until 11/01/2023
An eligibility list for future similar permanent, temporary, and/or seasonal positions may be established. Working for the BC Public Service:
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service can help Indigenous applicants (First Nations [status or non-status],Métis or Inuit) interested in BC Public Service job positions. How to Apply:
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the job requirements list above. Cover letter required: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume required: YES
- A resume is required as part of your application, however, itmay notbe used for initial shortlisting purposes.Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE)
- You will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and how you obtained your relevant experience. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
Helpful tips, videos and more regarding the application process can be found on the Your Job Application page of MyHR. If you are experiencing technical difficulty applying, e-mail BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible.Additional Information:
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
The BC Public Service COVID-19 Vaccination Policy defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service.More information can be found here .
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located at the bottom of the posting.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Natural Resource Sector, Scientific and Technical