STO 27R - FTELP Woodlands Supervisor * Posting Extended * Position Classification
Scientific/Tech Off R27 - Res Union
Mackenzie, BC V0J 2C0 CA (Primary)Salary Range
$71,298.93 - $81,387.14 annually Close Date
9/3/2020 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> FLNRO and Rural Development Ministry Branch / Division
BC Timber Sales Job Summary FTELP Woodlands Supervisor
Scientific/Technical Officer R27 - Resources* Posting Extended *
An eligibility list may be established for similar vacancies within the BC Timber Sales Prince George Business Area, Mackenzie.
This position is also posted as a Licensed Science Officer Forester 3 under Requisition 69851 .Bring your operational expertise to this unique opportunity
BC Timber Sales (BCTS)manages about 20 per cent of the province's allowable annual cut forCrown timber,generating economic prosperity for British Columbians through the safe, sustainable development and auction of Crown timber. BCTS operates in 33 communities and directly supports over 8,000 jobs across B.C.
Data from our operations are used to help determine the market value of the timber harvested from public land and ensures British Columbiansreceive fairvalue from their timber resources.
BCTS also supports government's commitment to true, lasting reconciliation with First Nations in BCas we move toward fully adopting and implementing the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
The goal of BCTS is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the market pricing system through auctions of timber harvested from public land in BC. BCTS has three objectives supporting its goal:
- Objective 1:Sell the full BCTS apportionment over the business cycle, consistent with safe practices, sustainable forest management, and reconciliation with Indigenous peoples.
- Objective 2:Generate direct net revenue and indirect revenue for the Province over the business cycle.
- Objective 3:Continuous business improvement - within BCTS, across government and with third parties.
To find out more about our program check out the BCTS website
Operating with significant independence the position is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Forestry Technologist Entry Level Training Program (FTELP). In coordination and collaboration with local Business Area staff the position is also responsible for employing sound business and forest management practices in the planning, development and management of a portion of BCTS operating areas within an assigned geographic area, in order to sell incremental timber volume through auctions of Timber Sale Licenses (TSLs). The position will ensure operational activities of associated licensees are monitored for conformance to TSL conditions. In discharging the responsibilities of this position the FTELP Woodlands Supervisor will need to engage various professionals such as engineers and foresters in order to attain appropriate advice and professional direction relative to their applicable scope of practice
Located within the Rocky Mountain Trench, Mackenzie provides a large selection of activities like snowmobiling, cross country and downhill skiing, hiking, mountain biking and camping in the summer. Fishing and boating can also be done at the nearby Morfee Lake.
In addition to this exciting opportunity and amazing locations, the BC Public Service is an award-winningemployer in British Columbia, including such accolades as being one of BC's Top Employers for 2017, one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2018 and one of Canada's Top Family-Friendly Employers in 2017.
This is your opportunity to build your career and to gain a better understanding of all the public service has to offer, such as competitive employee benefits , amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with an award winning employer . The BC Public Service encourages a healthy work/life balance that enables you to take advantage of the community and surrounding area in which you live. For more information, please visit What The BC Public Service Offers You .
The BC Public Service offers a healthy work/life balance, excellent benefits , including one of the best pension plans available, and a variety of opportunities for career learning anddevelopment. Regular, full time Professional Employee Association members are also entitled to 7% allowance in Lieu of Overtime Shiftwork and Standby (taken as time or money), have a 35 hour work week, and 4 weeks' annual paidleave entitlement.To find out more, explore What the BC Public Service offers You
A career path in BC Timber Sales offers exceptional opportunities to develop new solutions to complex problems, and to learn and grow personally and professionally. Existing and future BCTS employees have the opportunity to impact public and private forests, communities, the economy and the lives of British Columbians in positive and unique ways.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-9laHaKyc&feature=youtu.be .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, requirements and qualifications, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Craig.Tilander@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirements as outlined below:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Applicant must be registered with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals (ABCFP) as a Registered Forest Technologist.
- BCTS experience related to the planning and development of Timber Sale Licences, as well as experience in one or more of the following disciplines: silviculture, timber harvesting, and engineering.
- Supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience organizing and managing complex concurrent initiatives.
- Experience establishing collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Considerable knowledge of forest resource management specifically, operational planning, silviculture, timber harvesting, tenures, and engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, organize, manage and motivate staff and/or teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage individual and/or work team performance by setting goals and standards, evaluating performance and correcting where applicable.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and coordinate several concurrent operational activities.
- Ability to plan, prepare and deliver oral presentations and training to diverse groups inside and outside government, including the provision of technical information at a level appropriate to the audience.
- Knowledge of coaching methodologies.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Willing to attend meetings outside of office hours.
- Willingness to work extended hours with limited notice, including after regularly scheduled hours and on weekends and holidays.
- Willingness to be flexible regarding ongoing changes in responsibilities, assignments and corporate structure.
- Willingness to travel often for short periods of times.
- Preference may be given to applicants with significant experience in coaching.
Please include your registration number with the Association of BC Forest Professionals ( ABCFP ) within your application as you must be registered or immediately eligible for registration as a fully licensed Registered Forest Technologist (RFT) with the ABCFP. If you are not yet registered with the ABCFP, please explain how you are immediately eligible (i.e. currently a fully licensed RPF member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediately transfer to the ABCFP ).
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Cover letter required:NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Please select "SKIP" on the cover letter screen to continue with your application.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire - YES (COMPREHENSIVE)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT
: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.Job Category
Natural Resource Sector, Scientific and Technical