STO 21R - Engineering Technologist Position Classification
Scientific/Technical Off R21 Union
GEU Work Options
100 Mile House, BC V0K 2E0 CA
Clearwater, BC V0E1N0 CA
Kamloops, BC V2H 1B7 CA (Primary)
Merritt, BC V1K 1B8 CA
Multiple Locations, BC CASalary Range
$67,728.87 - $77,012.22 annually Close Date
10/5/2023 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Forests Ministry Branch / Division
BCTS Job Summary Make a difference in this rewarding career opportunity
BC Timber Sales (BCTS) is a unique program of the Ministry of Forests (MOF). Working collaboratively with regional and district operations, BCTS plans, develops, and auctions a substantial portion of the province's annual available timber volume. BCTS operates as a for profit entity within a government organization. Its goal is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the Market Pricing System through auctions of timber harvested from British Columbia's public land. BCTS operations are guided by three overarching principles, forest sector safety, reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and sustainable forest management.
A career path in BC Timber Sales offers exceptional opportunities to develop new solutions to complex problems, and to learn and grow personally and professionally. Existing and future BCTS employees have the opportunity to impact public and private forests, communities, the economy and the lives of British Columbians in positive and unique ways.
To find out more about our program check out the BCTS website .
The Engineering Technologist is focused on implementing forest road engineering projects, which includes contract management, bridge and major structure, survey, resource roads, and road design to support the achievement of project and program objectives. The position provides: engineering technical services to support the achievement of project and/or program objectives, information to operational staff, and works closely with the Engineering Officer and/or the Woodlands Supervisor to ensure environmental, construction and legislative requirements are met.Job Requirements:
- Diploma in forest engineering, forest management or equivalent related field, plus three years of experience in a directly related operational field forestry activities, OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience such as five years of experience in one or more area of operational field forestry activities
Operational field forestry activities include the following:
- Timber harvesting monitoring/conformance
- Cut-block development
- Forest road engineering
- Timber tenure development and administration
- Applicants must be registered or eligible for registration with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals as a Registered Forest Technologist or equivalent.
- Must possess at minimum a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job.
- Experience in contract or financial administration.
- Experience in forest road engineering such as road planning, construction, maintenance and deactivation.
Provisos /Willingness statement(s):
- Must be willing and able to withstand the rigors of fieldwork.
- Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be willing and able to travel to meet job requirements.
- Must be willing and able to travel in fixed and or rotary winged aircraft and or watercraft.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Janine.Schroeder@gov.bc.ca
.About this Position:
2 Positions available.
This position can be based out of any of the locations listed above.
Flexible work options are available; this position may be able to work 2 or more days at home per week subject to an approved telework agreement.
An eligibility list may be established for similar temporary and/or permanent vacancies within the BC Timber Sales Kamloops Business Area, (Kamloops, 100 Mile House, Merritt, and Clearwater).
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.
Kamloops is surrounded by over one hundred lakes as well as the North and South Thompson rivers. Water-based activities are very popular, such as fishing, kayaking, canoeing, rafting, tubing, skiing, snowmobiling, and ice-fishing. Kamloops has a very strong First Nations culture.Working for the BC Public Service:
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For guidance on applying and interviewing, please contact IndigenousApplicants@gov.bc.ca
With over 200 different occupations available in 280 communities across the province, we offer exciting opportunities for your career. Come be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please see What We Offer.How to Apply:
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the job requirements listed above.Cover Letter: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire: YES
- You will need to complete a basic questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements.
Helpful tips, videos and more regarding the application process can be found on the Your Job Application page of MyHR. If you are experiencing technical difficulty applying, e-mail BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible.Additional Information:
CRC - A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located at the bottom of the posting.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Category
Scientific and Technical