Please review the job details below.
Are you keen to have large scale impact in the work that you do? Are you eager to learn and develop your career in software and systems engineering? Do you want to work with experienced engineers who are delivering leading-edge technical solutions?
If you do, we would be thrilled to have the opportunity to discuss why you should consider MDA to bring your past experiences to a new level and impact.
Who we are:
MDA is a global communications and information company serving commercial and government customers worldwide.
MDA is a world leading provider of earth observation satellite ground systems focused on the acquisition, processing, archiving, and discovery of huge volumes of space-based imagery. Working in multidisciplinary and multi-level teams in an ever changing world, we deliver leading-edge technical, operational, and commercial solutions to commercial and government customers around the globe. Our mission critical systems provide the Earth Observation infrastructure that drives operational success and enables our customers to effectively utilize their space-based imagery. Building on over 50 years of success in satellite earth observation leadership, we are seeking staff to define and deliver the next generation of large, complex earth observation satellite ground systems. Come be a part of the team bringing imagery from the next generation of satellite constellations to the world.
Job Description Position Description:
Project based, software development using the latest technologies for a diverse and exciting set of satellite ground station activities. We offer a diverse development environment including client-server applications, web-based user interfaces including interaction with web API and web services design, external system interfaces, and automated software build and test systems. What would you do if you were hired for this job?
Successful candidates would join our team as a software developer and can expect to:
- Learn - while you leverage your past work experience, we will teach you about satellite ground station domains and our customers.
- Work - you will join a team within the Satellite Ground Systems group. Your team leader will be your guide and challenge you with project-based work that is best suited to your skills and experience. The software that you develop and engineering duties remains your responsibility. Immerse yourself, and dedication will yield results you can be proud of delivered to end customers and used in real-world, geo-spatial applications.
- Grow - your talents will be rewarded with opportunities for career and personal growth in an organization dedicated to success in a team environment.
- Creating engineering solutions that are attractive, cost-effective and have direct impact to our customers.
- Working from requirements and customer interactions to develop or modify complex software applications.
- Working with senior technical staff, stakeholders, customers and QA.
- Planning work, providing effort estimates, driving your work to completion - on time & on budget.
- Designing, coding, testing, debugging and documenting high quality software applications at the system level.
- Participating in integration, testing and deployment of software applications at the system level.
- Assisting in troubleshooting problems in a software production environment and at the system level.
- Following established development processes and corporate technical and quality standards.
Candidates must have the following knowledge, experience and skills:
- A University Degree or Technical Diploma from an accredited institution in computer science, software engineering, or a combination of related education and experience.
- Minimum6 years work experience with Java.
- Learn and use the latest technologies (e.g. GIT, Java, Spring, Angular, Docker)
- Experience with Cloud (AWS - Lambda, Step, API Gateway, S3, DynamoDB, Route 53, Cloudwatch, XRay, SQS/SNS)
- Willingness to work using agile and SAFe framework as part of the Scrum team.
Proficient knowledge and experience in the following areas will be an asset:
- Perform software requirements analysis, module/component level design and high level design and work with system level documents (eg: requirements, high level design and interface controls/APIs).
- An understanding of object oriented design, programming, data structures and algorithms, software design patterns and work across multiple systems.
- Ability to quickly learn on the job and leverage your past experiences and knowledge.
- Ability to use source code control.
- Team-friendly attitude and a willingness to learn and work on all stages of the standard software life cycle including post-delivery support.
- Possess excellent problem-solving, critical thinking skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work within a large organization and understand dependencies and stakeholder needs.
- Team oriented approach to solving technical problems within budget and schedule constraints.
What you might not have known about our Richmond facilities:
- Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) for both macro and micro services.
- Programming experience in a cloud/web environment, RESTful web APIs and endpoints.
- Test tools & test data generation.
- OpenJava, Ruby.
- Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka.
- Maven, Ant or other software build tool, Jenkins, CI integration.
- Logging via Elastisearch, Logstash, Kibana (ELK).
- Flexible office hours
- Standard 40 hour work week, overtime is tracked and compensated
- Office and lab work environments
- In-house training for both hard and soft skills, professional development funding
- Fitness facilities: aerobics floor with instructor lead classes, free weights, exercise machines and showers
- Full onsite cafeteria serving hot daily specials
- Kitchenettes (with fridges and microwaves) throughout the building offering complimentary coffee and tea
- Ample free parking for cars, motorcycles and bicycles
- BC Transit bus stop within steps of the building. Shuttle service from Bridgeport sky-train station is also available
- Company sponsored events including some for families with children
Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at the Reliability Status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program.Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company's retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.