Sr Scientist, Transportation Network Technology
Reference ID: 444804
Come and be a part of Amazon's amazing growth story, and build the algorithms which operate the world's largest e-commerce. Our team has a track record of continuously inventing new products which enable the rapid expansion of the largest e-retailer on the planet, and reduce its highest operational cost.
If you are looking for an opportunity to solve deep technical problems and build innovative solutions in a fast paced environment working with smart, passionate engineers, this might be the role for you. Within Amazon's software engineering organization, the transportation technology team develops systems responsible for getting millions of packages to customers worldwide faster and cheaper, while providing world class customer experience - from checkout on the website, to the final delivery. We get to design and architect highly scaled distributed demand matching and route optimization services which use terabytes of signals to ensure that we ship every package at the highest speed and lowest cost possible, IoT services which automate processes and labor management on-road and in Amazon sort centers and delivery stations, and applications and services used by anyone and anything involved in moving inventory or packages for Amazon and its sellers, globally. These services and applications run one of the largest transportation networks in the world. They compute hundreds of thousands of business decisions per second impacting billions of dollars of transportation costs per year. With rapid expansion into new geographies, innovations in supply chain, delivery models and customer experience, increasingly complex transportation network, ever expanding selection of products and growing number of shipments worldwide, we have an opportunity to build software that scales the business, leads the industry through innovation, and delights millions of customers worldwide. We leverage a broad array of technologies to push the frontier of globally scaled logistics and operations research, such as IoT, big data, stream and batch processing, machine learning, and highly distributed, high efficiency services on AWS.
Amazon's team working on algorithmic transportation network planning is looking for a Sr Technical Program Manager who will lead innovation in services that optimize cost and resource utilization in the delivery network while allowing Amazon to scale fulfillment operations in existing and new markets. As a Sr Technical Program Manager, you will partner closely with regional fulfillment operations teams in North America, EU, Japan, China, India and Brazil to develop a deep understanding of our business and regional partners, develop logistic models of the transportation network, and define new solutions to automate planning and scheduling of resources in the network. You will work closely software engineering teams to define the roadmap, architecture, and success metrics for new system capabilities. You will work with autonomy to identify new opportunities for algorithmic network operation, and work with software engineering teams to improve existing approaches. You will get to solve large-scale, highly complex problems in operations research, and will play a key role in defining the problems to solve across multiple engineering teams.
Successful candidates have the ability to identify key performance indicators for business operations and technology, to recognize opportunities to innovate both on the business and technology front, to identify technical gaps that are solvable, to define software solutions and specifications to address these gaps, to identify and to anticipate risks, make trade-offs, and encourage risk-taking behavior. In addition, strong candidates will be able to understand and influence the architecture of large scale distributed services and databases, to influence technical solutions across multiple systems, and have excellent communication skills, a passion for building simple, elegant solutions and architecturally sound systems, and a drive for results.
Basic Qualifications • 5+ years of experience of experience in solving complicated optimization problems for transportation networks or analogous disciplines developing a strategy for large-scale networks
• M. Sc or Ph. D. in Computer Science, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience developing new software products and/or services
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems and asynchronous architectures
• Experience designing and implementing transportation optimization models
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral with both technical and business people. Ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience.
• Experience prototyping and developing software in traditional programming languages (C++, Java, Python).
• Familiarity with SQL and experience with very large-scale data. The ability to manipulate data by writing scripts (Perl, Ruby) a plus
Preferred Qualifications • Strong knowledge of distributed systems and asynchronous architectures
• Proven track record of building innovative software solutions
• The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader and builder with strong business acumen and analytical skills. He/she should have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts and initiatives. He/she needs to balance technical leadership with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. He/she needs to be constantly striving for simplicity, and at the same time demonstrate significant creativity, innovation and judgment.
Posted: October 22, 2016
Closes:November 20, 2016