Under the direction of the Operating room Head Nurse, the OR/P.A.R. nurse provides direct nursing care to the peri-operative patient according to established standards/policies and provides work direction to nursing and non-nursing staff as required. The OR/P.A.R. nurse assesses the physical and psychological needs; plans, implements, evaluating and documents the nursing care for the patient during the peri-operative process, and the immediate post-operative period. Nursing responsibilities include scheduled on call responsibilities.AORN Perioperative Nursing Program Details (Regional)
• There are training positions available for this intake
• Northern Health provides placement support and funding for tuition, textbooks, and travel expenses for clinical placements, as required
• Learners should expect to make a 6 - 12 month commitment for this education, which includes online and in-person learning
• Additional study time, outside of schedule hours, may be required to successfully complete the program
• Flexibility for practicums is necessary
• Applicants must successfully complete the education program prior to working in the department
• Applicants must be agreeable to an 18 month return of services with Northern Health in the specialty area where training was provided Qualifications
- Registration with BC College of Nurses and Midwives as a practicing RN registrant.
- Current C.P.R., I.V. Therapy and Discharge from P.A.R. Certificates mandatory.
- One year recent experience in the Operating Room/Post-Anesthetic Room.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with others effectively.
- Demonstrated physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment such as blood pressure and oxygen saturation monitor, hydrotherapy blanket, operative instruments, endoscopes and scope washer.
- Demonstrated knowledge of specialized procedures and techniques such as scrub, circulating and Post-Anesthetic and Endoscope Room nursing care.
- Demonstrated Knowledge of aseptic technique.
View Fort St. John Community