Seasonal Sous Chef, Glasshouse Estate Winery
Contract Position for up to 6 months with possibility for long-term contract extension or advancement RELATIONSHIPS:
Reports to the Head Chef (HC)
Job Summary: The Sous Chef (SC) is responsible for all kitchen operations at their specific location in support of the Head Chef (HC). He or she has the autonomy to make decisions that will positively impact the business in areas of guest satisfaction and food quality and is responsible for ensuring the profitability and cleanliness of the kitchen in the absence of the HC. Further the SC is responsible for assisting the HC in staffing, training and development of all kitchen positions.
Duties: Duties of the GHEW Sous Chef include:
• Supervise all cooks ensuring they execute their tasks efficiently as assigned through delegation & help out when needed
• Assist to maintain highest level of food quality and presentation in accordance with organization's standard recipes and specifications as laid out by HC.
• Prioritize, Organize & follow through on tasks at hand
• Assist the HC with seasonal menu development and recipe creation
• Assisting the HC with all areas of kitchen recruitment and training, including interviewing, orientations, onboarding and continued training and development.
• Assisting the HC with conducting monthly environment audits as per JRG and local health protection standards, including cooking line, prep areas, storage areas, exterior compounds, coolers and freezers.
• Assisting the HC with controlling food costs by reviewing portion control, minimizing waste and conducting monthly food inventory counts and variances are investigated.
• Assisting the HC with managing kitchen staff schedule, overtime and labour targets.
• Ensure that bill times are kept to the specifications laid out by the HC
• Assist the HC with cooks performance reviews
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervising team of 4 or more
Working Conditions: Hours and shifts may vary. Includes working evenings, weekends and holidays as needed. Work is performed in restaurant kitchen and office environments.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• High level of attention to detail
• Genuine passion & appreciation for high quality ingredients
• Awareness of international food trends
• Clear thinker with aptitude to analyze & solve problems
• Capacity to work well under pressure & meet production deadlines
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
Required Training and Experience:
• Minimum of 5 years' experience in a professional kitchen
• Proficient working knowledge of Word and Excel
• Knowledge of Optimum & Squirrel is an asset
Required licenses, certificates and registrations:
• Food Safe Level 1
• WSET Level 1, preferred
• Certification of culinary training/apprenticeship, preferred.
• Red Seal, Cook, preferred
• First Aid Level 1, preferred COMPANY PROFILE:
The Joseph Richard Group is a collection of unique hospitality ventures owned by André "Joseph" Bourque and Ryan "Richard" Moreno. Our team operates 25 establishments together, constantly fine-tuning our concepts according to the needs of our guests. What sets us apart is our dedication to the Guest Experience; an unwavering commitment to exceptional service, top quality offerings, and a team of like-minded individuals. GLASS HOUSE ESTATE WINERY:
Glass House Estate Winery is a family run vineyard and boutique winery producing hand selected, single vineyard, low yield artisan wine located in beautiful south Langley, along the Campbell Valley Wine Route. The winery and tasting room managed and operated by The Joseph Richard Group and we are excited for our guests to share in our passion for agriculture, our bucolic setting, our love for family and our elevated menu offerings that pair elegantly with carefully crafted wines. OUR MISSION:
Creating memorable experiences for all guests through the best people, product, service, and environments.
Hospitality and Tourism Restaurants and Food Service