Software Engineering Manager
Job ID GRDV388 Job Location CA-BC-Vancouver Job Type Permanent Full-Time
Global Relay is the leading provider of cloud-based electronic message archiving, supervision, and eDiscovery solutions for the global financial sector, delivering services to 20,000 customers in 90 countries, including 22 of the world's top 25 banks. Global Relay Archive securely captures and preserves email, instant messaging, mobile messaging, Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and more - with Blackberry, iPhone, iPad, Android, Outlook and Web access.
Global Relay is headquartered in Vancouver's Gastown, with offices in New York, Chicago, Raleigh, Halifax, London, and Singapore. We strive to be a top employer and have been recognized with numerous awards, including Company of the Year award from the BC Tech Association (2016), Private Business Growth Award (2015), Canada's 50 Best Small and Medium Employers (2014-2015), Deloitte Technology Fast 500 in North America (2011-2015), Canada's Top Employers for Young People (2014), Ingenious Award (2014), Canada's Top 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures (2013), and Canada's Best Managed Companies (2013-2014).
With over 425 employees, Global Relay is growing rapidly and looking for new talent. Global Relay provides fantastic opportunities to individuals with passion in business and technology. For those with international business aspirations, Global Relay offers invaluable exposure to doing business with some of the most influential companies in the world. Global Relay is also ideal for people who want to create innovative technologies using massively scalable "big data" architecture and a strong focus on mobile.
Global Relay is 100% privately held and employee controlled. We develop, own and operate every aspect of our services, with no reliance on outsourcing or third-party subcontractors. We are not venture capital dependent, making us a truly Canadian organization.
Apply today - we have five floors of great open space offices with a fast-paced vibe, lots of amenities, a roof top deck & BBQ, and an in-house chef, all located in the heart of Gastown near Waterfront Station. To learn more about our culture and community involvement, please visit ( www.globalrelay.com
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager to act as a major contributor in building a top-tier software team that will partner with the broader organization to help us invent and transform Information Management through technology that is elegant, sophisticated, user-centric, and thought leading. We're building teams and a culture that respects the art and science of software engineering, focusing our efforts on problems that really matter to our customers.
If you love to dive into complex challenges that drive clear outcomes and have real world impacts then please, join us! Role Responsibilities:
The Software Engineering Manager will:
Technologies in Use:
- Lead a team of talented developers who like to ship product and welcome challenging and complex engineering problems in an Agile environment
- Instantiate a culture of knowledge sharing and avoid knowledge hoarding
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team's code, architecture, and processes
- Work with product managers to ensure the teams are delivering an accurate product build and work with project managers to ensure the schedules and controls for the development teams are met
- Work with appropriate stakeholder to ensure production issues are resolved quickly
- Own your team's deliverables and product quality. Ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available, and world class products to our customers
- Help your team build relationships across functions with QA, Operations, Support and other teams to ensure Global Relay's continuing success
- Be a hands-on development team manager who will spend up to 50% of their time in design reviews, sprint planning and other Agile artifacts. Some active coding is a requirement for this role.
- Appreciate and advocate for information security and secure coding practices
Technical Skill Requirements:
- NoSQL DBs (Cassandra, MongoDB, HBase, Zookeeper)
- In Memory Data Grids (Terracotta)
- Serialization libraries (Thrift, Protocol Buffers)
- Large scale data processing (Hadoop)
- Dependency injection frameworks (Guice, Spring)
- CQRS frameworks (Axon)
- Text search engines (Lucene, ElasticSearch)
- Core Java
- An M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- 8 years of software development experience, shipping enterprise grade software, using multiple languages and frameworks
- 2+ years of experience as a hands-on development team manager
- Demonstrated track record leading geographically dispersed teams
- Demonstrated track record of being a change agent, leaving every team and process better than you found it
- Strong communication and consensus building skills
- Your skills are language, framework, and toolset agnostic
- Prior exposure to external audits
- Experience with full stack SaaS development
- Experience with advanced web applications
- Experience with API development in service and resource-oriented architectures
- Experience with large complex databases and data quality and lifecycle issues
- Experience with mobile applications a plus
If you are interested in this position, please apply with your cover letter and resume in one PDF document
No phone calls please; applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
Posted: November 20, 2017
Closes:January 19, 2018