Are you a Java / JEE enthusiast? Are you interested in developing next-generation systems using Agile software methodology and current software development tooling? Come and show us that you can be a strong contributor to MDA's Land Administration team!
The Land Administration team builds large solutions for the land administration domain, such as for the management and provision of land and property ownership information. Our customers are worldwide, but include a strong presence in BC. The systems being developed have a client/server architecture and will be used by both back-office staff and directly by customers via a customer web portal.
Our systems are high-availability production systems with large-scale client/server architectures. Usability, reliability, performance and client productivity are key.
Our development methodology is based on the 'Agile' approach. We're using the latest Java technologies (especially open source) and frameworks including: Spring, Hibernate, Bootstrap, Angular, Eclipse RCP, XML, Spring-MVC, and both ReST and SOAP based Web Services. Position Description:
We are looking for highly motivated and capable Software Development Lead Engineers; this is your opportunity to join a team where you can increase your knowledge and experience in a variety of areas. You will work in a structured process project-based environment using Agile development methodologies.
As a Development Lead, you shall participate in the full development life-cycle with overall responsibility for the leadership of the software development effort and for the delivery of software that fully meets its specifications. Working from a defined software specifications baseline, you will provide development estimates, plan the work and drive all aspects of the technical execution of the software development effort. Your talents will be recognized and rewarded with opportunities for career and personal growth in an organization dedicated to success in a team environment. This shall include:
- Controlling (planning, scheduling and budgeting) all software development work in an effective and cost effective way.
- Leadership of the software development effort and mentoring of members of the software development team.
- Software development execution in accordance with project and Engineering standards.
- Estimates for the software development labour and non-labour resource use.
- Review of software development progress and reporting of progress to senior stakeholders against plans.
- Identification and management of technical risk, metrics and TPM parameters.
- Interacts with system engineering team to create and maintain the software specification baseline required for successful software implementation and achievement of overall project goals.
- Interactions with software architect leads to promote alignment of software designs with common architecture patterns and the overall software system vision.
- Guidance and key decisions for software detailed designs.
- Review and approval of software designs, source code, unit tests and test results (at all levels).
- Participate in formal test reviews to provide assessment of software readiness for entrance into formal test phases and for deployment into operations.
- Review and approval software deliverable documents (CDRLs, tech notes).
- Main project point of contact for all software issues.
- Provides impact assessment of changes to software specification baseline to CCB.
- Coordinate the disposition of software defects with the CCB and external stakeholders/customers.
- Annual performance reviews of software development staff being directly supervised.
- Support for the Project Engineer at project internal and external meetings and reviews.
Successful candidates will have some combination of the following capabilities, experience and skills:
- A University Degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science, Software Engineering or other relevant discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 2 years of progressive Software Development Lead responsibilities.
- Proven ability to lead development teams and deliver high quality software compliant with its specification and within budget and schedule constraints.
- Possess exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills. Software development team is cohesive, motivated, and enjoying the work. Team members are growing in capability and effectiveness.
- Extensive domain, process and technology skills in the development of production strength software that has been used by hundreds or thousands of users.
- Extensive knowledge of the full software development life cycle.
- Capable of planning and managing the software development effort and gauging competing, complex, and inter-related work priorities are correctly assessed and acted on.
- Experience in establishing budgets, schedules, and making technical decisions in consultation. Extensive estimating and costing skills.
- Possess excellent problem-solving skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Be able to provide an active voice on the project to convey team objectives, plans and expectations to all members of the software development team.
- Effective at working closely with Project Management, providing regular team status reports, proactively identifying problems with appropriate timelines and priorities.
- Establishing and maintaining effective lines of communication and close working relationships with senior engineers, project leadership and members of your team at all times.
- Ability to work within a large organization and understand dependencies and stakeholder needs.
Strong team player with the desire and ability to work well within a dynamic agile team environment. Comments/Special Considerations:
Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at the Reliability level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program.
MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision making. Using the latest technology to change the world. Our employees enjoy challenging careers with opportunity for growth and learning.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.